• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Server RAID card in a desktop?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2018 Oct 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

after looking at the insane prices of getting something like a Drobo or other RAID, i've decided to make a ultra-budget RAID array in my PC. Primarily for storing the bulk of my files, but it should probably also be fast enough to do some editing off of.

I'm doing six 2TB 7200 enterprise drives in RAID 10, giving me 6TB of storage and (hopefully) something along the lines of 4-5x read speed of the individual drives? I'm not clear on this either - some sources say that RAID 1 + 0 will give me N-1x the read speed, some say 6x and 3x write speed (, Free RAID Calculator - Caclulate RAID Array Capacity and Fault Tolerance. ) and others say only something like 2-3x read speed. To make this worthwhile and do what i need to do, i would like it to do something like the former - more than 4x read and at least twice the write of a single disc.

They are Hitachi drives and were used in a server or RAID setup before but are good working order in terms of passing something like a CrystalDiskInfo check (i'm aware of the risks and everything will be backed up. I simply don't have hundreds and hundreds to spend on WD Reds or something). I'm planning on using either a Dell H310 or Dell H700 raid controller and a couple of miniSAS to SATA cables.

Are there any issues i'm not seeing? I can find virtually NO material for setting up a RAID in a workstation/desktop with these cards - it seems to be entirely servers. A server is just a computer as well, so it should work, correct? Would anyone be able to tell me or direct me to any resources with tips or tutorial for actually getting the raid up and running? Are there issues with airflow or other things that i need to anticipate?

Seems like it shouldn't be much different than running a raid in a stack of drives outside the computer - it's just that i want it inside the computer (and faster throughput than a USB3 or something as well). Any help would be appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?