7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2018 11:54 AM by JohanEl54

Adding a subfolder to a collection not recognized

Jim_Palik Level 1

I am using LR CC release 7.5. Sometimes when I add a subfolder to a collection it does not sort into the collection. It is then not recognized if I want to import pictures to a collection. How do I add a subfolder to a collection sot that it is recognized and sorted into the collection before I add images.

Thank you in advance for your help

Jim

• 1. Re: Adding a subfolder to a collection not recognized
          JohanEl54 Adobe Community Professional

I’m not sure I understand your question. Collections only contain images, they cannot contain subfolders. Can you give an example of what you are trying to do?

• 2. Re: Adding a subfolder to a collection not recognized
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To my knowledge, it is impossible to create a subfolder to a collection. It IS possible to create a collection set, and then put the collection within that set. A collection is not a folder. It does not exist outside of the catalog. It only exists within the catalog file.

• 3. Re: Adding a subfolder to a collection not recognized
              Jim_Palik Level 1

Hello John and Jim,

As soon as I saw your answers I realized my mistake. Yes, I understand that collections do not contain folders. This was a misspeak. One of my specialties is Travel Photography. I save all my pictures in an originals folder that based on Date/Country/City/Subject. Then I have a collection set based on Country with sub-sets for City / Collection. I have been doing this for years. The top of the hierarchy contains 20+ countries with sub-collections of hundreds of cities.

When I created the sub-collection set I inadvertently created a collection and did not notice my error. Of course, the collection did not sort correctly inside the hierarchy. I was really tired trying to get a job out the door and just sat in front of LR saying why is this happening *%#@.

Sorry to bother you guys, I think that Alzheimer's is finally catching up with me.

I really appreciate this forum, even though it makes me feel &%^$# some times.

Thanks for the reply,

Jim

• 4. Re: Adding a subfolder to a collection not recognized
                Jim_Palik Level 1

Hello John and Jim,

As soon as I saw your answers I realized my mistake. Yes, I understand that collections do not contain folders. This was a misspeak. One of my specialties is Travel Photography. I save all my pictures in an originals folder that based on Date/Country/City/Subject. Then I have a collection set based on Country with sub-sets for City / Collection. I have been doing this for years. The top of the hierarchy contains 20+ countries with sub-collections of hundreds of cities.

When I created the sub-collection set I inadvertently created a collection and did not notice my error. Of course, the collection did not sort correctly inside the hierarchy. I was really tired trying to get a job out the door and just sat in front of LR saying why is this happening *%#@.

Sorry to bother you guys, I think that Alzheimer's is finally catching up with me.

I really appreciate this forum, even though it makes me feel &%^$# some times.

Thanks for the reply,

Jim

• 5. Re: Adding a subfolder to a collection not recognized

Sub-collections don't exist either. You mean you create collection sets, with collections inside such a set.

• 6. Re: Adding a subfolder to a collection not recognized
                    Jim_Palik Level 1

Yes Johan,

Keep me honest. To me a Collection set within a collection set is a sub-collection set.

Jim

• 7. Re: Adding a subfolder to a collection not recognized

Sorry, I missed the word ‘set’. Yes, I suppose you could call that a “collection set with sub-collection sets”.