Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with Go to Next Slide On success in Customed Quiz

Explorer ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone!

I've a totally customized Hot Spot Quiz Slide. I have 12 buttons, only 3 of them are correct. You have 3 attempts to do it right. In each attempt, you score a different number of points (First attempt 3, second 2, in the last 1).

I've setted up (as you can see in the image (sorry it's in spanish)):

- The first 3 elements, are the 3 kind of wrong responses. In the group I've a background, a smart-shape with text, and a button. In this buttons, I have an Advance Action, to reset all the buttons of the quiz back to 0. (a variable is setted for each quiz element). In the last wrong message, you get the Correct Answer and the exit button will Go to the next slide.

- The next 3 elements, are the 3 correct messages. In this groups, I have a button, which "On success" with Go to the next slide, and score points (I've included the button on the test, and bring to the total a different amount of points, if you're in the first attempt correct message, and so on).

The validation of the answers works well. You can make every attempt, and get the message according to the attempt. But all the buttons that are supposed to Go to the next slide, do nothing.

After this slide, I've a Drag and Drop slide, and then the Results Slide.

How can I solve this?

Thanks in advance!

captura.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Are these buttons all positioned so that they are sitting on top of each other on the slide?  What I'm thinking is that your issue might be due to having buttons with hit areas all occupying the same space and even though you have HIDDEN the buttons that you don't want to be clicked you haven't DEACTIVATED them as well.  If a button is only hidden, it might be preventing the click on the button underneath.

As a test, try moving the buttons on the slide slightly so that they are NOT overlapping an

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You show only that an advanced action is triggered by the On Enter event, but not the advanced action, nor the setup of the buttons. Do you use muitistate objects for the feedback messages?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lily, sorry for that.

1) In the Enter event, I only have an advance action that hides 2 buttons that appear later on. They are working well.

2) The buttons (12) that are part of the Hot Spot interaction, have all the following advanced action:

advanced1.jpg

This buttons have 2 states, Normal, and Selected.

If the variable is 0, change the state to Selected, and assigns 1. ELSE, change the state to Normal, and assign value of 0 to the variable. This allows to unselect the buttons.

2) The button that verifies the selection and give the correct/incorrect message, have the following advanced action:

advanced2.jpg

IF all the conditions are true, shows the first Correct message, ELSE the wrong one.

3) All this messages (correct, incorrect), are compound by a smart-shape as background, another smart-shape with the message, and a smart-shape that says "Continue". If you're correct, it should go to the next slide (which is the problem), if not, it returns to the exercise, to keep on trying (this one works well).

This Continue button is just a button with an state of mouse-over, I don't change it's state during the exercise.

advanced3.jpg

advanced4.jpg

This button is supposed to go to the next slide On success, and is included in the test, with 3 points that are added to the total score. This is the button with the issue. You click it, and does nothing.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is very difficult to 'read' an advanced action if you cannot see it fully. Did you never learn to use the Preview button for actions? It is the first button (arrow) in the top right control panel. I explained all the functionality of the Advanced actions dialog box in this blog post:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/advanced-actions-dialog-box-in-captivate-2017

It is not the language that is bothering me, but I don't get the full picture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I didn't know that. So, here it is. I'll paste parts of the previous message.

The buttons (12) that are part of the Hot Spot interaction, have all the following advanced action:

1.jpg

This buttons have 2 states, Normal, and Selected.

If the variable is 0, change the state to Selected, and assigns 1. ELSE, change the state to Normal, and assign value of 0 to the variable. This allows to unselect the buttons.

2) The button that verifies the selection and give the correct/incorrect message, have the following advanced action:

2.jpg

IF all the conditions are true, shows the first Correct message, ELSE the wrong one.

3) All this messages (correct, incorrect), are compound by a smart-shape as background, another smart-shape with the message, and a smart-shape that says "Continue". If you're correct, it should go to the next slide (which is the problem), if not, it returns to the exercise, to keep on trying (this one works well).

This Continue button is just a button with an state of mouse-over, I don't change it's state during the exercise.

advanced3.jpg

advanced4.jpg

This button is supposed to go to the next slide On success, and is included in the test, with 3 points that are added to the total score. This is the button with the issue. You click it, and does nothing.

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect that you still do not show the full advanced actions. I see only one decision for each of the actions:

• Sin_titulo_1 is visible in the screenshot, but what about the other decisions? It is always suspect that you use THEN/ELSE setup when having several decisions, because a later decision can easily override a previous one.
  • Attempt_1: what about the other attempts? Similar reaction, avoid multiple decisions with THEN/ELSE setup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for taking the time.

I wasn't able ('cause a lack of knowledge) to put in one button all the attempts.

So, you click in the verify answer, with this Advanced Action:

2.jpg

The correct answer has a button with: On Sucess, Go to the next slide.

The wrong answer has a button with the following advanced action:

captura 1.jpg

You'll note, I'm Hidding Verificar 1, and showing Verificar 2. Like I said before, I wasn't able to put in one button all the attempts, so I'm limiting this "attempts", by this Verify buttons.

In the Verify 2 button, the attempt 2 advanced action is triggered.

captura 2.jpg

Correct answer group has a button with Go to the next slide, and the wrong one has this advanced action:

captura 3.jpg

Again, I'm Hidding Verificar 2, and showing Verificar 3. This give me the last attempt.

captura 4.jpg

Correct answer group has a button with Go to the next slide, and the wrong one "Go to the next slide" as well, because you don't have more attempts.

I have 3 actions with ELSE actions, 'cause there're 3 attempts. I suppose there's a better way to do this, but I think it's out of reach for me.

The four buttons that are supposed to "Go to the next slide", 3 in the correct answers group, and 1 in the last wrong message, are the ones not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are these buttons all positioned so that they are sitting on top of each other on the slide?  What I'm thinking is that your issue might be due to having buttons with hit areas all occupying the same space and even though you have HIDDEN the buttons that you don't want to be clicked you haven't DEACTIVATED them as well.  If a button is only hidden, it might be preventing the click on the button underneath.

As a test, try moving the buttons on the slide slightly so that they are NOT overlapping and then try your interaction again.  If it then works, my theory might be correct.  To resolve it you would need to add more actions into your Conditional Actions so that when a button gets hidden it also is deactivated, and when it gets shown it should also get Activated too.

If the interaction still does not work even when all buttons are using different hit area space, then my next theory would be that your issue is related to a design flaw in your interaction logic.  Your conditions have become so complex that all it takes is for ONE of the variables to have the wrong value and nothing works.  You may need to go back to square one and build up from a very simple interaction again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll check that out, and tell you what I got. It's a good approach, that I didn't think about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally I find your approach very (too?) complicated.  If you explained what you exactly want to achieve, I may be able to offer an easier to handle workflow.  In one of your previous posts I did see an advanced action with multiple decisions, but you never showed that full action. I suspect a logical bug, where a later decision is overriding a previous one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know maybe it's a complicated approach.

What I need, it's a Hot Spot Interaction. There are 12 options, 3 of them are the correct ones.

The "problem", it's that you have 3 attempts. But you will score a different amount of points in every attempt. If you get it in the first, you score 3 pts, in the second 2 pts, in the third 1 pts. If you fail, you get none.

In fact, with my approach, I have the problem that in the final result slide, instead of a total 3 points slide, it's taking it as a 6 points slide, which will impact to the total percentage scored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot use normal scoring in that case, but either need JS (to change the system variables) or the CpExtra widget by InfoSemantics which allows the same without JS.

It is possible to have different scores for attempts, but not if you want to transfer an end score to a LMS, only to show the score within the course. Long time ago I blogged about such a use case (embedded movie is SWF, not HTML):

Link score to attempts in Custom questions - Captivate blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lily!

I was following your tip for the scoring problem. But I got stucked with the scores. In my project, I have multiple types of custom quizes (multiple choice, drag and drop) all of them with different amounts of attempts (1 or 3)

In one of them, for example, I have a multiple choice, with 3 answers. One of the answers gives you 2 points, another gives you 1, and the last, none. In this case, the attempt is just one. I get stucked trying to "feed" the v_score variable.

Maybe it's a stupid question, but I don't get it.

Is there a way to separate the attempts from the score? Like, Correct answer, click a continue button and assing +2, if they click the other one, +1.

In other words, when the attempt is just one, feed the score with a literal value, and if there are attempts, feed them with the attempts.

Hope you can understand me, I tried my best to explain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was trying somethink like

Expression      v_score = v_score + X

But anyways at the final Results slide, I need to show the v_score (wich I guess I can show just inserting the variable in the text caption to show the value), but I need the percentage too.

And if they get under 70% they didn't pass, if they get between 70 and 99% it's approved. But if they get 100%, they get somekind of a Brilliant work caption.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To show the percentage use the simple mathematical operators you can use in an advanced action with the Ewpression command.

As for the rest, all depends how you do set up the advanced actions. Have a lot on my plate, cannot work out a full solution now. I am jst spending free time trying to help and writing blogs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand you correctly, you are trying to change the default quiz question score being reported on some quiz slides so that a different score is reported depending on how many unsuccessful attempts the user has made on that quiz question.  Is that correct?

You cannot over-ride or modify the default Captivate quiz score (the one being reported to the LMS) with User Variables.  The Captivate quiz score is Read-Only.

If you are publishing to HTML5, the CpExtra widgets may allow you to achieve what you are trying to do.  Check out the information on this Help page under the heading for:

xcmndMaxScore

Slide Object Properties | Infosemantics Pty Ltd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2018 Oct 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod, I already mentioned the CpExtra widget in a previous answer. OP is trying to create custom quiz slides, where the score is based on the attempt. But apparently my blog post is not clarifying enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2018 Oct 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your post was really clarifying!

I was just asking 'cause I'm not an advanced user, and I think I might change your approach to reach my needs.

I'll try taking your post as a start point and then modify things and make some experiments to see what I got from that.

Thank you so so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources