Exit

Photoshop 2019 rotation transform: cursor proximity changed

Explorer ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone!

I just updated to the 2019 version and immediately noticed a nasty change:

When trying to free transform an object and rotate it, the proximity of the cursor to rotate has changed for the worst!

Before it didn't matter, where you would click/hold to rotate outside the object. Now the cursor has to be very close or else a click too far away only confirms the transformation and the object gets unselected. Does this make sense?

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone already found a way to disable or change this behavior?

Cheers!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

I just realized when in the transform state, holding Shift allows you to rotate at a much wider proximity like before. Always hard to change our muscle memory but this fix should do for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To to get transform working properly you need to do two thing.  Edit your Preferences to turn on the origin point for transform. The point will be displayed and controls in the option bar will work.   The Shift Constrain modifier key will work backwards.  You can get the working correctly by  adding a PSUserConfig.txt option into your Photoshop Preference folder. All of this is noted in the update documentation.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To to get transform working properly you need to do two thing.  Edit your Preferences to turn on the origin point for transform. The point will be displayed and controls in the option bar will work.

Good one, thanks. I had a mini heart attack with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Your tip saved me $$ from the curse jar!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See this page for details of the update and the configuration of proprtional tranform that JJMack mentioned

New and enhanced features | Latest release of Photoshop CC

I don't think that you can turn off auto-commit. However if you use normally use the cursor at a distance for fine control, then you can put the cursor near the handles and drag it away thereby retaining the control.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you figure out a fix for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just realized when in the transform state, holding Shift allows you to rotate at a much wider proximity like before. Always hard to change our muscle memory but this fix should do for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the Shift key toggle tip. However, I have about 80 pixels of offset with the rotation icon.  The Shift key toggle is still useful though.  I really like being able to click on the canvas to commit the change.  It's a waaaaay bigger target than the little tick box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor I have to admit I like being able to click outside the area to commit things like transform, text and other tools.  I did not like  that now the transform tool works different the photoshop's other tools like the marquee tools and the shape tools etc.  So I added the  added the statement into my PSUserConfig.txt file to change transform back to be consistent with the other tools.    I did like dragging out thing with tools one way any then having to transform what I dragged out the reverse way  because Transform was changed  to work the Backwards. I also changed my Photoshop Preferences to show the reference point when transforming. I also like that it is now big and bold. In the past I dragged the less conspicuous reference point by accident.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks JJ.  I've not even looked through Preferences yet.  So far, I have just been using the tick box to the left of the left of the Options bar.  It stays ticked through different documents, but I have not tried restarting, or different workspaces come to think of it

OK. It looks like ticking Show reference point in the Options bar, is the same as doing it in Preferences

I notice you use the Shift key for tool switching.  I started turning that off several versions back, as it was another key press I felt I didn't need, so slowed you down.  The potential down side is that if you, for instance, hit the B key to select the Brush tool, and the Brush tool was already selected, you can end up with the Pencil, or an equivalent unwanted tool.  So before we go the customizable Toolbar, I used to remove the shortcuts from unwanted tools via the Edit menu.  Since CC 2017 it is easier and more tidy, so for me the 'B' key can only select the Brush tool.

The other Brush tools have no shortcuts, and the Pencil has been dumped in the Edit Toolbar space.  I should actually reinstate the Pencil, because I do very occasionally us it.

I don't use Artboards, and I'm probably missing out by not doing so, but I have kept it in my default custom toolbar for a sort of OCD tool arrangement point of view.  I have a theory that a lot of content creators are at least a wee bit Obsessive Compulsive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2019 Feb 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor, instead of needing to click anywhere, you might find it helpful to commit your changes in nearly all tools in Photoshop by hitting the enter key on your num pad. If you don't have that (a laptop keyboard for example), you can hit CRTL(or cmd if on mac) + Enter on your keyboard. I know not everyone has the same workflow, but I wanted to make sure you were aware of this as clicking that tiny check mark icon as you've described was agreeably not a quick way to complete a transformation. I understand that now there's a very big target to click on when you're done, but this change also *greatly* reduces the working area for using the tool for its main purpose. Being able to rotate from a larger distance from the anchor point allows for more accuracy.

Adobe, I really hate this new constraint you've placed on us. I use Photoshop every day and I never once had an issue with committing a transformation. Now I'm constantly accidentally leaving the tool and having to try again. Thank you to all who pointed out that CRTL or Shift is a work around to this frustrating update!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2019 Apr 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the exact same issue with the rotation. By default when rotating an object in the transform view I put my cursor at least a third of the screen's width away from the object to get a more precise rotation. Can this "click-outside-to-commit" change be disabled in any way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

The easiest way is just hold down Ctrl (Cmd on Mac) when rotating -that way you can click a distance away.

You can revert to the old transform behaviours by following the instructions below:

1. Use Notepad (Windows) or a text editor on Mac OS to create a plain text file (.txt).
  2. Type the text below in the text file:

TransformProportionalScale 0

3. (Windows) Save the file as "PSUserConfig.txt" to your Photoshop settings folder. [Installation Drive]:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings\

(macOS) Do the following:
    1. Save the file as "PSUserConfig.txt" to the desktop.
    2. Control-click PSUserConfig.txt saved at the desktop and choose Copy from the pop-up menu.
    3. In the Finder, choose Go > Go To Folder. In the Go To Folder dialog box, type ~/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings/
    4. Paste the copied file at this location.
  4. Restart Photoshop.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick reply!

Adding TransformProportionalScale 0 to a user config file doesn't revert the behaviour (I've tried), just removes the aspect ratio lock (which is also a totally bonkers feature). I don't mind this being default but there should be an option to disable the click-to-commit feature as adding keys to hold down while doing a common action doesn't make things easier. Also, there's no indication of where the transformation hit area stops, so right now it's about shooting from the hip until I learn approximately where it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2018 Oct 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tips! It helps in reducing my headache. But still, it's a silly adjustment made by Adobe, just as silly as changing the Undo shortcut, and SHIFT key transformation tool. These alterations just slowed down my work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2018 Oct 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, actually holding Ctrl is working for me than the Shift. Hold CTRL when the transform nodes appear to enable you to rotate the layers from distance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't help wondering "who had the problem that this is the solution to?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Idk, but sure feels good paying $52.99 a month for muscle memory murdering

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2019 Jun 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. this change SUCKS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, I have a real problem with this, what if i have a big canvas and i want to make a slight rotation and my mouse isn't anywhere near the object i am transforming?  I am used to not having to be near the object.  Yes i can move the mouse over to the object, start the transform and then hold shift and pull it away, but that is absolutely unacceptable.  Who thought not allowing a disabling of auto commit was a good idea?

Am I wrong, can we disable auto commit somehow?  It is jamming me up

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was no option noted in the update documentation I was happy to see a PSUserConfig.txt option was available to make Transform scaling to be consistent with Photoshop other tool like it was. I tried to see if the Performance setting use legacy compositing would do it. It did not.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for your attention to this, you're helping lots of people!  For now, I simply wrote this script in autohotkey:

#IfWinActive, ahk_class Photoshop

^t::

send ^t

tooltip !!! Do not forget to hit control or shift BC PS v20 !!!

sleep 1500

tooltip

return

#IfWinActive

which at least by virtue of reminder, fixes it.  I can also have AHK output the shift or control modifier key, but if this is "the way of things" I guess I'll get used to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Adobe pls

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally a solution for everyone!...

pZ4HazP.png

/s

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2019 Apr 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When is this rotation 'boundary box' going to be fixed?
I just updated to the latest version of Photoshop and it's driving me crazy. Why on earth would you reduce the area that you can use to rotate a layer? This SLOWS DOWN workflows! Instead of being able to rotate the layer with your cursor anywhere on the canvas, you now have to move your cursor to the tiny invisible boundary box before you can start rotating, with risk of committing the transformation if you click in the wrong invisible area.
Something that used to be an instantaneous ctrl+t and drag, is now far slower and clunkier. You could already commit a transformation just by pressing ENTER, this change is for the worse.
Give me an option to revert back to the previous rotational controls.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines