• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

In Design CC 2019 doesn't allow InDesign 2018 documents to be saved as Indesign CC 2019. After InDesign CC 2019 installation, InDesign CC 2018 documents cannot be saved either.

Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Design CC 2019 doesn't allow InDesign 2018 documents to be saved as Indesign CC 2019. After InDesign CC 2019 installation, InDesign CC 2018 documents cannot be saved either.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Hi Sparkleshow,

This seems similar issue with this one Fehlercode 4/Errorcode 4 for not damaged documents – Adobe InDesign Feedback , please refer to above uservoice thread for solution.

This issue gets resolved by relaunching InDesign.

Regards

-Anshul

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Could you give more information:

Do you receive an error message, if so, what dies it say?

What do you mean when you say that CC 2018 documents cannot be saved either.

Does it happen with all the documents you try, or only some of them

What type of documents are they Print, interactive...)

Can you export these documents to another format (e.g. PDF)

Regards

Damien

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally, when updading to a new yearly version of the app, one would be able to open a document created in the previous version and, when saving, a message would ask if you wanted to save the document as, say, a CC 2018 document. When you clicked OK it would say that a version of that docu already existed in the folder and whether you wanted to replace it. When you said yes, the document would be saved in the upgraded version.

This time, however, the app refuses to save any document in the previous CC 2018 version or in the new CC 2019 version. No matter how you try (save, save as, save a copy) you get these messages, for example:

Cannot save “Charcutería.indd” under a new name.

and,

Cannot save a copy of “Charcutería.indd”.

The file “DBTmp635448684564” is damaged (Error code:0).

What's going on? Even if I try CC 2018, once CC 2019 has produced the fail error, CC 2018 will also refuse to save.

I'm on a 15-inch 2016 MacBook Pro, (2.7 GHz Intel Core i7; 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3; Radeon Pro 460 4096 MB Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB) running macOS Mojave 10.14. I have been an InDesign user since CS2. InDesign CC 2018 was buggy, but yesterday's update is completely inoperative. It's prevented me from working for one day, and that's loss of income.

In any case, thank you for your time. I would be grateful for a solution to this snafu, As it is, the app is unusable

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi javiera24237122 ,

did you open the document from a file server?

Or is it just a volume on your Mac?

FWIW: I cannot see the issue in my Windows 10 version of InDesign CC 2019.

Currently I am not able to install InDesign CC 2019 on Mac OS X, because I'm still on OS X 10.11 and CC 2019 requires OS X 10.12 and above.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All my documents are on the hard drive, not a file server. Normally, when updating the app, you would open a document created in the previous year's version and, when saving, it would prompt you to save it in the new version. As a document already existed from the previous version, it would ask you whether you wanted to replace it. Once you clicked OK it would simply save it as a conversion to the updated version of the app. Yesterday's CC 2019 app refuses to save in any way (save, save as, save a copy). It allows export to PDF, and placement to the desktop, but once you place the file in its folder in the hard drive volume, any change you make to it cannot be saved and the problem reproduces itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm. Could that be a file permission problem?

Perhaps the system regards the document as still open?

You see I'm guessing here.
Perhaps someone can chime in who is using OS X 10.14…

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in 10.14. Today, and through beta testing, I've absolutely never encountered any problems opening CC 2018 files and saving them as CC 2019. I've done it many, many times and continue to do it successfully today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, my name is Javier Azcona, the original poster about this problem. Normally, when updating the app, you would open a document created in the previous year's version and, when saving, it would prompt you to save it in the new version. As a document already existed from the previous version, it would ask you whether you wanted to replace it. Once you clicked OK it would simply save it as a conversion to the updated version of the app. Yesterday's CC 2019 app refuses to save in any way (save, save as, save a copy). It allows export to PDF, and placement to the desktop, but once you place the file in its folder in the hard drive volume, any change you make to it cannot be saved and the problem reproduces itself.

Do you have any suggestions about what may be going on? Many thanks for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is my same issue. I ran into this when my team member, who cannot update their version of CC because the IT dept has to, brought up the fact that the file was saved in a newer version of CC. I tried to save it as the 2018 version, but there was no feature as Javier described above, to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Javier,

Can you please try with a new document created in ID CC 2019 and save it on may be Desktop or Documents. Please try saving same document again after making some changes.

Are you able to save this new document? If yes, is the problem with all old documents or only few specific ones?

Can you please try export to IDML, is it working for old documents? If you try to save problematic document with new name, does it give error too?

Regards

-Anshul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, AnshulJain19,

Thank you so much for your attempt to help. I have tried your suggestions and here is the result:

I created a new document today, Oct 17, 2018 at 11:20 a.m., local European time, then,

Saved to desktop: Successful save to desktop.

Changes to document: I edited the docu, and it saved those changes successfully, too.

Placed docu in folder in hard drive: Successful save to hard drive.

Further changes to document: Also saved successfully.

Tried to open an old document CC 2018 from the hard drive: App doesn’t allow saving of any changes to that document. Message says “Cannot save “Charcutería.indd under a new name” when prompted to save the document.

(Normally, in previous years’ versions of the app, when updating to the new version, one would open a docu that had been created in the old version and it would prompt you to save it. When doing so, it would offer you the option of saving the docu to the same folder and volume where the old docu was by replacing it. You would click OK and it would convert the file and save it. This year’s CC 2019 offers the same dialogue but on clicking OK it prevents the saving and produces the above message. When insisting on saving, it produces another message that the file is corrupt. It also gives “Error:0” and “Error:1” when trying again.)

It happens with all old documents (mine are in CC 2018), not only a few ones. (Of course, I haven’t tried the absolute total of my docus, but I have done so with a large enough number of them to say that it happens to all of them).

Try to export the new document to IDML: Not possible: A message that “1 problem (one failure) was found with a background task” is produced. (I was trying to save to disk).

Try to export an old document to IDML: Not possible, either. I get the same message.

Try to export problematic document with new name: Unsuccessful: I get a message that “The file is damaged”.

Document also exports to PDF, and said PDF is then operable. (I mean PFD Print; I have not tried PDF Interactive as I have no interactive functionality in the newly created document).

Most puzzling is the fact that once I installed CC 2019 two days ago, CC 2018 documents also refuse to save even if I choose CC 2018 rather than CC 2019 as the preferred format. I get this message: "Cannot save the document. It may be opened by other applications. Close applications and try again. You also use Save As to save it into a new document." But if I try to save as Save As, I get one of the earlier messages above. The problem loops.

I really hope that there is some solution to this. The last two days have been unproductive for me work wise.

Thank you again for your help. Clueless me will be here if you need me to perform any further tests. Meanwhile I may try an Adobe chat in the work hours here in Spain.

Best regards,

Javier Azcona

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Javier,

Please send few of your files to ansjain@adobe.com. I will try o reproduce the issue with your files.

In the meantime, please try copying your problematic files to some new location on your machine and open it from there and save it, does this work?

Thanks

-Anshul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2018 Oct 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Can't open any of of my CC 2018 files — even IDML files — in InDesign 2019. When I try to copy and paste from 2018 into 2019 it just creates a flattened image — I'm assuming a pdf for placement. I was able to export a pdf from 2019 that works.  I was also able to export an IDML from 2019 and it appears to be editable in 2018. Guess I'll be sticking to InDesign 2018 until this gets resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same thing. I did the update today and I was actually working in InDesign 2018. Now that I've launched 2019, none of my edits are being saved and it won't let me create a pf version of the file to print. I have a deadline to meet in 48 hours and i'm panicking big time. THIS.IS.NOT.GOOD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello ,

You are right. It is not possible to open a CC 2019 file in InDesign CC 2018.

Today I have the same problem. Every time when adobe makes a new version it is not possible to oben a new file in an older software version. This is not very customer-oriented but this is adobe.

And when you are working with CC 2019 it is not possible to put a CC 2018 file into a book. First you have to save the file in CC 2019. This is bullshit, ..... Every day i have to work with books in InDesign and now I have to save more than 20.000 files into the CC 2019 version.

About your problem,

if you want to open a CC 2019 file in CC 2018 you must save it as a IDML file.

Then you can open the IDML file in CC 2018 and save it as a .indd file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh, very nice feature,

when you are writing  b_ u_ l_ l_ s_ h_ i_ t  you will get ******** 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally, when updading to a new yearly version of the app, one would be able to open a document created in the previous version and, when saving, a message would ask if you wanted to save the document as, say, a CC 2018 document. When you clicked OK it would say that a version of that docu already existed in the folder and whether you wanted to replace it. When you said yes, the document would be saved in the upgraded version.

This time, however, the app refuses to save any document in the previous CC 2018 version or in the new CC 2019 version. No matter how you try (save, save as, save a copy) you get these messages, for example:

Cannot save “Charcutería.indd” under a new name.

and,

Cannot save a copy of “Charcutería.indd”.

The file “DBTmp635448684564” is damaged (Error code:0).

What's going on? Even if I try CC 2018, once CC 2019 has produced the fail error, CC 2018 will also refuse to save.

I'm on a 15-inch 2016 MacBook Pro, (2.7 GHz Intel Core i7; 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3; Radeon Pro 460 4096 MB Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB) running macOS Mojave 10.14. I have been an InDesign user since CS2. InDesign CC 2018 was buggy, but yesterday's update is completely inoperative. It's prevented me from working for one day, and that's loss of income.

In any case, thank you for your time. I would be grateful for a solution to this snafu, As it is, the app is unusable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Is Save/Save As disabled? or some error when saving?

Is export to IDML working? if yes, you may use it as workaround.

Which OS?

Happening with every document or some specific one?

Please help with above information.

Regards

-Anshul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anshul,

Save and Save As ist working. No errors.

The IDML export also works.

Nice idea to use the IDML export like a workaround.

I think that the IDML export is the only way to open a CC 2019 file in CC 2018.

But if you have more than 20.000 CC 2018 files which should be placed into a book in CC 2019 it is not possible to open and safe each file in CC 2019 step by step. The IDML export could also be a solution. Maby in combination with a script.

This will take a lot of time and work (thx adobe).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

What about with the version CC 2017, whether CC 2017 files can be opened and saved as CC 2019 files?

Thanks,

Praveen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi IBAK_01 ,

we cannot be sure what's the exact problem with our original poster javiera24237122 .

It's unclear if InDesign book files are involved in the problem at all.

FWIW: There is no change in the behavior with book files.

If you do a new book file with InDesign CC 2019 the documents that the book file contains must be CC 2019 documents.

That's not new at all. It's working the same way with all versions of InDesign that support book files.

For batch conversion of documents see Peter Kahrel's script. Maybe it can be of help:

Free script Batch convert/export InDesign documents | Peter Kahrel

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still working with Peter Kahrel's batch converter, its a very good tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2018 Nov 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. I cannot open a CC2018 idml file. NOT. GOOD. I have a zillion idml files I need to be able to open! THIS IS A MAJOR FAIL.

I stupidly uninstalled CC2018 last week in a cleaning frenzy...

Here's what happens with CC2018 idml file:

Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 5.26.19 PM.png

Here's what happens when I try to open the indd file:

Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 5.31.27 PM.png

I SEE NO SOLUTIONS LISTED ABOVE.

I don't see CC2018 as an app I can reinstall—WHY??

I will send ansjain@adobe.com the files. I can't believe this issue has not been resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got notification about my posting in French—why??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I've gotten one in Japanese... this is not confidence inspiring.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines