1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 15, 2018 3:37 PM by Kevin-Monahan

Rough Cut

caphow Level 1

Hi Folks,

would like to rough cut original video files into smaller pieces, without transcoding, reformatting or in any way reworking the data, except truncating unnecessary ends. Just like cutting off the ends of a salami, without reworking the whole sausage. This is possible with quicktime player and the command "shorten". But I am looking for a way to use either prelude, premiere pro or media encoder. Each time I try, each of the programs wants to transcode the file (via media encoder) into some different format and codec, which I can choose, but I can't just keep the original formats, as it seems to me. The original files vary from mp4 with different fps and AVCHD in 25fps. I am on the Mac and creative cloud.

The reason for this action is an organizational work flow to avoid huge files, not yet creating a movie in Premiere Pro. This will come at a later time.

Thank you in advance and best regards

• 1. Re: Rough Cut
          Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi caphow,
          Thanks for the question.

• would like to rough cut original video files into smaller pieces, without transcoding, reformatting or in any way reworking the data, except truncating unnecessary ends.
          • Each time I try, each of the programs wants to transcode the file (via media encoder) into some different format and codec
          • The original files vary from mp4 with different fps and AVCHD in 25fps. I am on the Mac and creative cloud.

This is absolutely possible if you shoot with what are called "smart rendering" aware codecs. AVCHD and .mp4 are not one of those supported formats. Sorry. Here are the supported formats: Smart rendering in Premiere Pro

One trick of the trade is to use an Atomos or similar device to record everything to a smart rendering aware codec.

Thanks,
          Kevin