• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving images between collections within the same collection set

Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a collection set with four collections within the collection set.  On collection includes all of the collection set images.  I want to move (or copy) some of the images to another collection within the collection set called say "rejects".  Is it possible?  I know how to move images between collections not in the same collection set, but can't figure out how to do it when both collections are in the same collection set. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Collections are simply a list of Photos.

You decide which photos to add to any Standard Collection.

Lightroom decides which photos to show in a Smart Collection depending on the SC search attributes.

A Collection SET is a simply way of collecting or showing ALL the photos that are in the (sub-) Collections within the Set.

So, you are NOT moving images- that is the first thing to understand. They remain in their hard-drive Folder no matter how they show in Collections.

Photos can be added to multiple Collections, they are NOT limited to be in one Collection only (and this does not duplicate the photo).

You can 'change' the Collection where they are listed by mouse dragging the photos from one Collection to a 'second', then simply delete from the 'first'. This can be done in the same Collection set (with the Set expanded to show the individual Collections)

And the same photos will continue to appear in the 'parent' Set, no matter which sub-Collection they are in.

Ask again if this does not make sense to you!

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WDKlein1000  wrote

I have a collection set with four collections within the collection set.  On collection includes all of the collection set images.  I want to move (or copy) some of the images to another collection within the collection set called say "rejects".  Is it possible?  I know how to move images between collections not in the same collection set, but can't figure out how to do it when both collections are in the same collection set. 

If you are trying to segregate "rejects" from other photos in a collection or collection set, a collection (or collection set) is a particularly poor tool for this task. You might be better off using the pick flags, or using stars to indicate which photos are "rejects" and which are not. Then you can filter on the pick flags or on the stars to view the "rejects" or view the non-rejects.

Although you say "you know how to move images between collections ... ", there is no such thing as a MOVE photos from one collection to another. The only thing you can do is ADD photos to another collection (and they remain in the first collection). I suppose you can ADD the photos to another collection, and then delete the photos from the first collection. Which gets back to my point, collections are a particularly poor tool for this purpose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

WDKlein1000  wrote

There is absolutely no difference between adding images to a collection in the same set as opposed to adding images to a collection in another set. Just select them, then drag them onto the collection. If that does not work, then perhaps you are trying to manually add images to a smart collection, or perhaps the collection you want to add them to is another collection set?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines