• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Encore WAV Transcode Stupidity

New Here ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone, I wanted to ask if anyone had any CLUE as why in the world Encore would transcode a WAV file into an exact duplicate of the original file? As far as I can tell, my 16 bit 48khz uncompressed waveform file is being "transcoded" into the exact same format. This is ridiculous because it takes Encore about a million years to transcode something compared with Apple's Compressor.

Anyway, Encore is insisting on transcoding all of my WAV files for my Blu-ray projects which are set for PCM in the project settings. Here is a screenshot of the two WAV files, the one on the left is the original and the one on the right is the "transcoded" file. Any help or suggestions as to how to prevent Encore from doing this would be very appreciated.

P.S. - The "Don't Transcode" setting is NOT an option for whatever reason...

P.P.S - I'm not sure why the modified date and time on the original is later than the transcode. This is the file that was transcoded.

P.P.P.S - I see there is a difference of roughly 4kb of data...with the transcoded file being less.

Screen Shot 2018-10-16 at 3.09.20 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post one of the original wavs to be downloaded? I'll test it here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a link to the original WAV file.

Dropbox - Ceremony-WAV2.wav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get your results: Encore shows as needing transcoding even with the default set to PCM.

In MediaInfo, there are 2 differences from a wav I have that Encore does not want to transcode. And yes, mine imports to EN as "do not transcode."

a) The Codec ID for me is "1" and yours is a long sequence.

b) Yours has a "Channel layout: L R" that mine does not have.

I don't recall seeing this issue before; normally it would take your wavs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I've always encoded my FCPX projects in .ac3 up until I realized that the compression was affecting the sound quality and so I switched to wav. I've tried every different setting for wav files that Compressor has (it has 16, 24, 32 bit rates, lots of kHz options, and mono, stereo (L R) and 5.1. Encore rejects the 5.1 option and I obviously don't want mono, so the stereo is what I selected.

I started in 24 bit, but then discovered that Encore wanted to transcode it into 16 bit, but even when I begin in 16 bit, it still "transcodes" it. So the Codec thing must be imprinted by Compressor but I'm not sure how to change it. I can try selecting "Automatic" instead of "Stereo" to see if it leaves off the Channel Layout L R.

-Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let us know...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No luck. Rendered another project today with the automatic settings on the WAV and Encore still wants to transcode it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Encore do you use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe it is CS6, which is the last version of Encore that Adobe supported. I wish they had not abandoned it....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you trying to do, DVD or Blu-ray?

When i create a new project, DVD or Blu-ray, and set it according to the two images below i get what you can see in the first image. Your file wants to be transcoded here as well in Encore CS6 on Windows. The second file, Test-Me-Ceremony.wav, did i create by opening Ceremony-WAV2-wav in Adobe Audition and just used Save As to create a new file. This file worked as you can see.

Download the new file here and test: Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

Side note:

The original file had some serious clipping in it and those files does always sounds bad when converting them to .ac3. I did put a Hard Limiter on the new file and sat it to -3dB, so for testing purposes you can try to transcode it to .ac3 and you will probably get a good .ac3 file as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 25, 2018 Nov 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is more than likely due to the endian setting of the PCM file - Mac use a different setup to PC & Blu-ray - one s Big-Endian, the other is little endian. This is possibly exacerbated by the already noted different channel descriptor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines