• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need a Pantone color to match an automotive paint color

Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working with a product manufacturer that requires a Pantone color code. It needs to closely match  a certain color of automotive paint. I have the automotive paint code. Is there a way to find a match without having to purchase a Pantone color guide book?  (It’s a little pricey to find just one color) I’m looking for a website with conversions maybe, or a way to use illustrator to find the Pantone swatch. My problem with finding a color match with illustrator is that the swatches are of course flat and the paint is lacquered. Difficult to compare visually.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks for your ideas!

Mary

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

If you are friendly with a local print shop, you could ask them to show you their Pantone Coated Solid color swatch book.  You say you have the paint code.  Do you have access to the vehicle?  I would use the swatch book and determine the color by comparing to the actual vehicle ( in good light ).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mary,

You may get the Pantone Color Manager, which is free when you use the serial number in your printed swatches book if you have one, (on the second or third page) and then choose the library you need.

Or you may download the free 30 day trial of the Pantone Color Manager and add the libraries from there, see how here:

http://www.pantone.com/help/?t=activating-PANTONE-Color-Manager-in-%27trial-mode%27

https://www.pantone.com/help/?t=How-to-Export-PANTONE-Libraries-from-PANTONE-Color-Manager

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are friendly with a local print shop, you could ask them to show you their Pantone Coated Solid color swatch book.  You say you have the paint code.  Do you have access to the vehicle?  I would use the swatch book and determine the color by comparing to the actual vehicle ( in good light ).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think comparing my paint visually with a screen printer’s chart is going to be the best.  The link from “lambiloom” was helpfu. Thanks for your responses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi please check the following website hope that helps you....thanks

Find a Pantone Color | Quick Online Color Tool

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines