• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to fix "AcroCEF Helper Cannot be opened because of a problem"?

New Here ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I open a PDF document this message keeps popping up constantly. I tried uninstalling Adobe Acrobat and installing it again, still keeps popping up. I tried restarting my computer and it still happens. I tried looking it up on the internet but found no clear solution. I am using a mac OS, 10.13.5 and Creative Cloud 4.7.0.400

Screen Shot 2018-10-16 at 3.49.22 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Hi Den,

Sorry to hear about the trouble and thanks for sharing the detailed description. Since you are using the Mac OS, then we suggest you to once close unwanted the Acrobat instances running at the background and then try to open a pdf.

You can refer to the following steps.

1- Open "Activity Monitor",You can search for it in spotlight or Go>Utilities>Activity Monitor.

2- Select AcroCEF Helper from the processes and force quit.

3- Open Acrobat and pdf, the files should open now.

4- If it still does

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Den,

Sorry to hear about the trouble and thanks for sharing the detailed description. Since you are using the Mac OS, then we suggest you to once close unwanted the Acrobat instances running at the background and then try to open a pdf.

You can refer to the following steps.

1- Open "Activity Monitor",You can search for it in spotlight or Go>Utilities>Activity Monitor.

2- Select AcroCEF Helper from the processes and force quit.

3- Open Acrobat and pdf, the files should open now.

4- If it still doesn't help, then use cleaner tool to remove the application and its old traces.

Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs

5- Reinstall the app.

Let us know if it doesn't make any difference.

Regards,

Akanchha 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! The first 3 steps didn't work but steps 4 and 5 solved the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome!!

Glad to hear it worked for you. And thanks for letting us know the exact step that actually helped you.

Let us know if there is any further assistance is required.

Regards,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem as Den had. AcroCEF alerts keep on popping up and I have found no way of killing or getting rid of them. The steps 1, 2 and 3 didn't work for me either.

The Cleaner Tool, on the other hand, warns:

“THIS TOOL IS NOT FOR USE WITH ANY CREATIVE SUITE PRODUCTS INCLUDING SUITES THAT CONTAIN ACROBAT. IT CAN ONLY BE USED WITH STANDALONE VERSIONS OF ACROBAT AND ADOBE READER.”

Please tell me, is my Acrobat Pro DC standalone version or not (2019.008.20074)? What does standalone version mean in this case?
I am using macOS 10.12.6 and Creative Cloud 4.7.0.400.

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Cleaner Tool, on the other hand, warns:

“THIS TOOL IS NOT FOR USE WITH ANY CREATIVE SUITE PRODUCTS INCLUDING SUITES THAT CONTAIN ACROBAT. IT CAN ONLY BE USED WITH STANDALONE VERSIONS OF ACROBAT AND ADOBE READER.”

Please tell me, is my Acrobat Pro DC standalone version or not (2019.008.20074)? What does standalone version mean in this case?
I am using macOS 10.12.6 and Creative Cloud 4.7.0.400.

Thanks for your help!

Creative Suite is a prior version of creative cloud product. I have checked your account but didn't find any subscription registered under it. You might have it under some other email address?

Since you are MAC user, you may run the MAC cleaner tool available on the same page- Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs  (It would work for your Acrobat Pro DC version)

-Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This same problem started for me yesterday. The error message alert pops up every couple minutes, so I get interrupted regularly while working and have to close dozens of windows.

I wasn't quite clear on your answer regarding whether or not this will work if one has Adobe Acrobat with Creative Cloud. I'm running MacOS High Sierra (10.13.6) and clicked on the link you provided that has the warning that it's only for standalone versions of Acrobat. What should I do to stop getting the error message?

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey there,

I had the same issue the last few days.

(Mac OSMojave 10.14.2   with   CC Cloud)

Step 4 & 5 worked for me with the link on

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines