5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2008 3:31 PM by Newsgroup_User

Different Brush types in FW?

TSanchez012
      Hello, I have been scouring the web in search of different brushes that I can use in FW. So far, all I have found is thousands that are for Photoshop. Can I use these? If I am able to use Photoshop brushes in FW, how do I do that? Is there anywhere that has specific FW brushes? Any info is helpful. Thanks
        • 1. Re: Different Brush types in FW?
          Level 7
          Can you show an image of the effect you wish to achieve?

TSanchez012 wrote:
          > Hello, I have been scouring the web in search of different brushes that I can
          > use in FW. So far, all I have found is thousands that are for Photoshop. Can I
          > use these? If I am able to use Photoshop brushes in FW, how do I do that? Is
          > there anywhere that has specific FW brushes? Any info is helpful. Thanks
          >
          • 2. Re: Different Brush types in FW?
            heathrowe Most Valuable Participant
            Unfortunately, Fw does not support the .abr Brush format, though sometimes I wish it did :)

h
            • 3. Re: Different Brush types in FW?
              senocular Level 1
              In fact, Fireworks has no brush [file] format; all brushes in Fireworks are procedural. Your best bet for finding different kinds of brushes are through styles, since they are the easiest way to save and load brushes in the application (you can save brushes in the advanced stroke dialog in Fireworks, but they are document specific). Of course styles usually focus on fills and effects...
              • 4. Re: Different Brush types in FW?
                ageofem Level 1
                what brush effects are u trying to achieve? some ornamental brushes or grunge brushes? yea its tough not having them in fireworks, but u can always use the vector tools and create them , the process takes time but could work
                • 5. Re: Different Brush types in FW?
                  Level 7
                  Yes, I was thinking along the same lines:

+ create a source object

+ Cmd+C > Cmd + V

+ on the pasted object change fills and blend modes, adjust
                  transparency maybe even use a custom patterned fill?

+ then do the same on stroke properties

A synergy of a bitmap-vector hybrid?

BLUE2X wrote:
                  > what brush effects are u trying to achieve? some ornamental brushes or grunge
                  > brushes? yea its tough not having them in fireworks, but u can always use the
                  > vector tools and create them , the process takes time but could work
                  >