8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2018 3:28 AM by D Fosse

How to deactivate Lightroom 2.3?

texshooter555

I want to sell my Lightroom 2.3 software on Ebay and need to make sure it has been completely deactivated from my PC's so the buyer can successfully intall it on his computers. How do I deactivate Lightroom 2.3? I can't find the deactivate button anywhere from inside the Lightroom 2.3 program. Does uninstalling the software automatically deactivate it?

My Adobe Photoshop Creative Suite 4 does have a deactivate button inside the program and I know that uninstalling alone will not deactivate.  Does Lightroom 2.3 work differently?

• 1. Re: How to deactivate Lightroom 2.3?
          dj_paige Level 10

There never was any activation or de-activation of Lightroom 2. So you don't need to do anything.

• 2. Re: How to deactivate Lightroom 2.3?
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There was no activation process for Lightroom 2. Uninstalling the program is all that is necessary. That version is so old and outdated that you will be fortunate to find someone to purchase it, in my opinion. I will provide you a link to instructions on what is necessary to transfer a license for Adobe software. Good luck.

Transfer an Adobe product license

• 3. Re: How to deactivate Lightroom 2.3?
              John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Which version of Lightroom are you currently using? If it’s an upgrade from version 2.3 then you cannot sell 2.3.

If you’re running a full perpetual version or Cloud version then no problem.

• 4. Re: How to deactivate Lightroom 2.3?
                texshooter555 Level 1

Upon reading your linked info, it appears that education versions of Lightroom (like mine) cannot have the license ownership transferred.  Darn. On second thought...

Although Adobe will not re-register the educational license key to the Ebay buyer's name, at least the buyer will be able to use it since Adobe does not track or limit the number of installations with this ancient product. Is that true?

When I unistalled Lightroom 2.3 from my computer (I've moved on to CC), did Adobe get automatically notified via the internet that I unistalled it?  Does Adobe keep track of every computer that Lightroom 2.3 is currently installed on? Or does Adobe only keep track of who's registered to that license? I don't want anything to blow up.

• 5. Re: How to deactivate Lightroom 2.3?
                  John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Although Adobe will not re-register the educational license key to the Ebay buyer's name, at least the buyer will be able to use it since Adobe does not track or limit the number of installations with this ancient product. Is that true?

Perhaps but you will be in breach of the license agreement in selling. It's not yours to sell. You should make the buyer aware of that. i.e. they cannot register it in their own name.

When I unistalled Lightroom 2.3 from my computer (I've moved on to CC), did Adobe get automatically notified via the internet that I unistalled it?  Does Adobe keep track of every computer that Lightroom 2.3 is currently installed on? Or does Adobe only keep track of who's registered to that license? I don't want anything to blow up.

No, Adobe only tracks serial numbers and which Adobe ID they are registered to. They have no idea which specific machines the software is installed on. They tried that in the early days of activation technology but it became a monster when people were swapping out hard drives and other peripherals and being denied activation of their software.

You can have Adobe software installed on as many computers as you like. Adobe introduced activation to try and enforce the license agreement and prevent casual piracy (such as the scenario you have in mind). Without activation, there's not much Adobe can do although they could still perhaps block the serial number when the buyer tries to enter the software on their computer. Not sure they'd be interested for an ancient version like LR 2.3 though.

• 6. Re: How to deactivate Lightroom 2.3?
                    texshooter555 Level 1

I didn't know selling was not allowed. Thanks for clearing that up.

• 7. Re: How to deactivate Lightroom 2.3?
                      elie_di Level 4

Ten years old software that won't run on many computers and for any camera less than ten years old won't convert Raw unless used in tandem with the DNG Converter. Great deal.

• 8. Re: How to deactivate Lightroom 2.3?
                        D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes. All license considerations aside, Lightroom 2 is a useless piece of junk today. You'll be lucky to find someone who will take it for free.

Sorry, but that's the reality.