3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2007 1:32 PM by Chunick

How do I add search functionality?

6gig
      Hi,
      Someone gave me a CD with their director files on it and he wanted me to add the ability to search all of the text on the CD and be able to page through the results, and click on the results to bring up the page with the found word. It's basic search functionality, but I don't know how to accomplish this in Director.

Anyone have any ideas?
        • 1. Re: How do I add search functionality?
          Level 7
          Search can be implemented using Lingo coding, but it is no trivial matter.
          Much depends on how the file is built. Also, the search will be relatively
          slow. I built basic search into a piece a while back and it worked just
          fine. Just know going in that this sort of brute force method will not
          likely be acceptable for a "large" program.

Before trying to tackle this using Lingo, consider a 3rd party xtra such as
          http://www.updatestage.com/xtras/textcruncher.html . Much more efficient and
          less "reinventing the wheel".

• 2. Re: How do I add search functionality?
            DiehardJ
            Hi, I am at uni and our lecturer wants us to produce a genealogy program using director, we need to be able to search a database of information so the user can add specific members to their own tree. How could I produce such functionality with director?
            Gedcom files were mentioned but I dont know how they are produced or how to perform a search on them providing results?
            Any database could be used really, I just need search functionality.

Can anyone please help?
            Many Thanks
            • 3. Re: How do I add search functionality?
              Chunick Level 3
              quote:

Originally posted by: DiehardJ
              Hi, I am at uni and our lecturer wants us to produce a genealogy program using director, we need to be able to search a database of information so the user can add specific members to their own tree. How could I produce such functionality with director?
              Gedcom files were mentioned but I dont know how they are produced or how to perform a search on them providing results?
              Any database could be used really, I just need search functionality.

if you're going to do this through Director then you're going to need an Xtra to connect and query the database. The query string is how you're going to return the results that you want from your database. This is no trivial matter.