13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2018 8:21 PM by RjL190365

GPU Acceleration not available in PP CC 2019

Sentern Level 1

Mercury Playback engine GPU acceleration (CUDA) doesn't work / isn't available in PP CC 2019 version.

Luckily, I've learned my lesson and kept previous version this time (2018) in which the Mercury Playback engine GPU acceleration (CUDA) was and still is available every time.

Intel Core I7-5930K @ 3.5 ghz

64gb RAM

GeForce GTX 980 Ti

• 1. Re: GPU Acceleration not available in PP CC 2019
          Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Sentern,

Have you updated GPU drivers yet? That may hold the key to your solution.

Thanks,
          Kevin

• 2. Re: GPU Acceleration not available in PP CC 2019
            Sentern Level 1

What does that mean?

• 3. Re: GPU Acceleration not available in PP CC 2019
              R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You need to move to the newer series of drivers for that card. Go to the Nvidia site and download/install the newest version of the driver.

Neil

• 4. Re: GPU Acceleration not available in PP CC 2019
                Sentern Level 1

By the way.....I'm 'this' close to canceling my creative cloud membership because of problems like this and responses like this. A more helpful response might be details on how to fix a BUG that Adobe created with a new version, rather than blaming me for not updating something I didn't know I needed to update because Adobe CHANGED something that worked previously. Why not ask: did Adobe anticipate that this change would AFFECT CUDA that previously worked just fine???? You guys/gals at Adobe are so software based and so NOT customer based that you have no idea how this stuff affects us. NO. IDEA.

• 5. Re: GPU Acceleration not available in PP CC 2019
                  Sentern Level 1

Yeah, and updating to the latest Nvidia driver in the past has caused my system to crash. How is it that we're in late 2018 and these @Y*@Y!@!!!  companies still haven't figured out how to make things work together?  Will Artificial Intelligence someday relieve us users of the burden of hardware and software incompetence?

• 6. Re: GPU Acceleration not available in PP CC 2019

Updating hardware drivers to the latest version has always been required to keep a pro level NLE, fx, or grading app functioning correctly.

Then of course the more antiquated hardware you write extra code to support, the more limited the effort to move forward with performance and the easier it is for instabilities to happen.

I've had crashes or screen garbled from drivers both from an older driver or the newest being screwy.

Takes what, 5 minutes to change drivers. I manually check for video drivers at least every other week. Part of the trade. Needed for both the Adobe apps and Resolve.

Neil

3 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: GPU Acceleration not available in PP CC 2019
                      Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You need to update your driver (visit the nvidia site on a regular basis and always install the latest one)

Adobe Premiere Pro CC System Requirements

• 8. Re: GPU Acceleration not available in PP CC 2019
                        Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi,

Have you gotten GPU acceleration to work after updating drivers? Let us know.

Thanks,
                        Kevin

• 9. Re: GPU Acceleration not available in PP CC 2019
                          davids94266888 Level 1

All drivers are current.  Last update for the GTX 1080 was in October.

• 10. Re: GPU Acceleration not available in PP CC 2019
                            jarosławw20907026 Level 1

Same Problem here on GeForce GTX 560.

• 11. Re: GPU Acceleration not available in PP CC 2019
                              megacinn Level 2

.....Updating hardware drivers to the latest version has always been required to keep a pro level NLE, fx, or grading app functioning correctly......

WOW , if ever there was a proof needed ...this is it !

Sadly to say, but it looks that you definitely have not the slightest idea of the requirements of PRO-Editing-systems nor compositing systems!

I'm among other things an ACSR (if you know what that is) , and certified in many other pro-broadcast environments.

Mostly all of them have a very strict requirement of a dedicated graphics adaptor and its driver version, or some or more function are not working anymore.

Especially those whose realtime abitlity are mainly based on that .

In estimated 75% of all systems there is always a bundle of softwarecomponents for each release ,and you better stick to it, instead of acephalic running behind every new update.

Even in this forums there is always ...update to the newest....uhmm ..not working...ähh...use the version before....

• 12. Re: GPU Acceleration not available in PP CC 2019

Updating the OS, major program updates, yea ... you don't want to race off to the newest ones.

However ... PrPro and many of the other video-post apps are dependent on the video drivers. And with OS and program micro-updates, you can easily and quickly get to a point where your video driver is not a good one.

At that point, you do need to check with the driver, to see if an update will fix it. Drivers are not in the same category as OS as far as the trouble you can get into over updating.

And ... from direct practice both personally and within this and other forums ... the advice to keep your graphics driver updated, and for any video issue to check that immediately ... is very sound advice. Period.

Neil

1 person found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: GPU Acceleration not available in PP CC 2019
                                  RjL190365 Level 5

Sorry, but that GTX 560 is now no longer supported anymore beginning with CC 2019. This is in large part due to Nvidia's decision to EOL all Fermi GPU driver support at driver branch version 390. You see, CC 2019 now requires a driver version that incorporates CUDA 9.2 or higher drivers just to even enable CUDA acceleration at all. For the WHQL GeForce drivers, this means driver version 397.64 or later. Unfortunately, the last WHQL driver that supported Fermi (including the GTX 560) was 391.35, which only included CUDA 9.1 drivers (but is restricted to CUDA 8.0 with Fermi GPUs because CUDA 9.x requires CUDA Compute Capability version 3.0 or higher in order to work). Fermi-based Quadros are EOL'd at driver branch version 375 because later Quadro drivers do not include CUDA 8.0 capability (only CUDA 9.0).

Not only that, but the GTX 560 has too little VRAM (1 GB on most such cards, 2 GB on a few) to even enable GPU acceleration at all in CC 2019, which now requires 4 GB or more VRAM.

1 person found this helpful