7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2008 6:49 AM by pulmego

Live Cycle Acrobat 9 etc... Flex day 3

thisaliasis
      Day 3... and I am frustrated to discover that I may not be able to continue with this training because apparantly Live Cycle Data Services ( and Acrobat 9) which the Live cycle site advises downloading first - are only available for Windows, not Mac. Is this so? Surely there are other ways of using Flex with remote Services... e.g. AMFPHP? Do you know where these topics might be covered? Is it possible to get around this Live cycle problem...? ( I've found a site detailing how to install Live Cycle on a Mac @ technoracle.blogspot.com - but the comments beneath make it seem a bit hit and miss... What about ColdFusion 8? Doesn't it have Live Cycle ready installed as a component? It runs fine on Mac... I am presently bummed to discover such a roadblock in the middle of the otherwise inspiring training series.
        • 1. Re: Live Cycle Acrobat 9 etc... Flex day 3
          anirudhs Level 2
          Hi,

Try out installing LiveCycle on the Mac by following Duane's instructions.

You just might find it more hit than miss :)
          • 2. Re: Live Cycle Acrobat 9 etc... Flex day 3
            thisaliasis Level 1
            Hi - Thanks for your help anirudhs. I am following Duane's instructions but - because Live Cycle and jboss have both put out updates since they were written, am unsure. To begin with, I downloaded Live Cycle AIX 2.6 and jboss 4.2.3, as opposed to the versions he had recommended - and there are some differences. Following his instructions, I have got as far as: 7 & 8:
            7. From the same location, copy <lcds_install_root>/resources/security/tomcat/context.xml to your JBoss under the WEB-INF directory or adjust an existing context.xml to add the <valve>. You’ll have to open the context.xml files to compare them. Copying works best if you have a fresh install of JBoss.

8. Expand your <lcds_install_directory> and copy the following files:
            flex-admin.war flex.war samples.war
            But am not sure how I should adjust the context.xml? Do I merely add the path to the path manager and enable it? Or write a specific set of context tags? ( Or should I create a fresh file in the WEB-INF directory...?

Also I cannot find the files specified in 8. In the install_directory there is lcds samples.war, lcds.war and ds_console.war. Are these equivalents?
            • 3. Re: Live Cycle Acrobat 9 etc... Flex day 3
              thisaliasis Level 1
              Hi
              Tried adding flex.messaging.security.TomcatValve to the path manager - and the lcds.war files to deploy but no go - Jboss runs but no sign of LCDS.
              • 4. Re: Live Cycle Acrobat 9 etc... Flex day 3
                anirudhs Level 2
                Hi spinglitter,

Since you've gotten this far, it may be more fruitful for you to post the current problem at http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc4344d/ (Livecycle DS forums). Those guys will be able to help you out. (Sadly, our experiences with LCDS are all on Windows).
                • 5. Re: Live Cycle Acrobat 9 etc... Flex day 3
                  nickull
                  Hey - I am looking at this and will try and update this for LC DS 2.6 in the next few days. I have to travel to a customer visit tomorrow - Thursday. It should be possible.
                  • 6. Re: Live Cycle Acrobat 9 etc... Flex day 3
                    thisaliasis Level 1
                    Hi Dwayne,
                    Did you get a moment to have a look? And did you have any luck? Sorry to hound you, but I'm keen to keep learning the full Flex set-up before I begin forgetting what I learned so far...
                    I'm not sure which remote database set up would work best for me - I think that in the end I might use Blaze with some open source add-ons - which I believe approximates the Live Cycle environment. But maybe AMFPHP would suffice... I don't really know how to compare one set up with another and assess their advantages/disadvantages.
                    • 7. Re: Live Cycle Acrobat 9 etc... Flex day 3
                      pulmego
                      Good insights. You should be working for them.