Sorry for this. This typically happens when you have a camera that generates files to a CF card. The editor must copy the entire contents of the CF card to the computer's media drive, including ancillary folders. Then, the editor must import these clips via Media Browser, not File > Import. If an editor deviates from this workflow, issues like this happen when a reconnection to original media files is made. You see, there can be multiple clips that have the same clip name - so if the metadata is missing, Premiere won't know which of the identically named clips to reconnect to.
Could this possibly be what happened to you?
Thank you for replying. What you’ve pointed out is helpful.
I’m not sure how the project was originally set up. It was a student film.
When the term was over, they hadn’t completely finished the film. So the
instructor asked me to help make a couple of cuts and output OMFs for
the sound editor. That all worked.
The problem arose with the conform. For some reason the online editor/colorist
couldn’t access a timeline that made sense. On my end, I used Keka (7-Zip for Windows)
to recover the cut via older version of Premiere Pro. Then I realized I would have
to output a proper EDL for DaVinci Resolve. (Being new to Premiere Pro, I forgot
about that step.). Then I did my own round trip between Premiere Pro and DaVinci.
That worked. But again, it didn’t work on the online editor’s system using the same
hard drive. Neither of us understood why.
In the end, he used ‘Screen Cut Detection’ on DaVinci and that worked.
We figure that because the folder structure and naming conventions on the hard drive,
set up by the students, was somewhat of a mess, the timeline couldn’t find the original
At least they can finish now.
Thanks again for your response. It will be helpful for the next show.
Dang Roger, that's quite a tale! I'm glad your workaround got you to the finish line.