• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

enlarge photoshop thumbnails, not image.

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2018 Oct 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I call up file thumbnails are too small to make a judgement about which to open as image in photoshop. There must be a way to make them larger. Please help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 20, 2018 Oct 20, 2018

What version of photoshop and operating system are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of photoshop and operating system are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi if you are talking of thumbnails in layers section you can make them large using panel options....thanks.

pic-a.jpg

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Adobe Bridge you can easily enlarge thumbnail size using a slider at the bottom. If you are Windows user then you may need additional application to install to see a preview of Photoshop files (PSD, PSB). In Explorer, you have option to display Small, Medium, Large and Extra Large icons. Those options are available from View tab.

enlarge-thumbnail-size.jpg

windows-explorer-view-tab.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2018 Oct 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm very sorry to be so long in getting back to you guys. I really had not expected replies so soon. I am concerned about thumbnails when you call up a photoshop file, say 20 images. They are so small I can't determine the better. The only way I have found is to open the whole image, which takes up the window and then I can not judge that image against the orthers of the same scene. I am most humbled by your responses. Thanks very much.  Oh, I almost forgot, I'm on a mac with photoshop CS6, and Prefsetter is no longer available. Thanks for your reponses. Oh, and Adobe rep said size of thumbnail was set by the number of images in the file. I don't buy that. I know I have enlarged thumbnails in the past. I've just changed mac's it's somewhere in thihs new mac.              

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

chas_nx  wrote

Oh, I almost forgot, I'm on a mac with photoshop CS6, and Prefsetter is no longer available. Thanks for your reponses. Oh, and Adobe rep said size of thumbnail was set by the number of images in the file. I don't buy that. I know I have enlarged thumbnails in the past. I've just changed mac's it's somewhere in thihs new mac.              

Apple long removed thumbnail size options for Finder dialog boxes. I checked the link I gave you and Prefsetter is there and works on 10.13.6

Screen Shot 2018-10-21 at 5.40.59 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Gener7 I must have read to site wrong. I'll try again. Thanks for being so diligent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone following this in hopes of finding a way to enlarge thumbnails, Prefsetter is available and it seems quite simple and well designed, however it is above my level of expertise. But someone more knowledgeable about such matters probably could use it to their benefit.  Thanks anyway Gener7 and Nigh Productions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

chas_nx  wrote

For anyone following this in hopes of finding a way to enlarge thumbnails, Prefsetter is available and it seems quite simple and well designed, however it is above my level of expertise. But someone more knowledgeable about such matters probably could use it to their benefit.  Thanks anyway Gener7 and Nigh Productions.

Ok, maybe you can find some who is expert. I'll leave the details here for others.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's fine. Now a few notes:

First run Prefsetter by ctrl + click. If it gives you a message about "unidentified developer", click Open.

This file--~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist will be in your Home directory, not the main one, hence the ~ (tilde)

Only adjust iconsize, nothing else. try the 256 value first, then adjust as needed.

Prefsetter should be in the "Open with menu".

Screen Shot 2018-10-22 at 9.07.23 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the impression chas is talking about the Mac Finder dialog boxes that fix the thumbnaii size, unlike Windows Explorer dialogs which allows thumbnail size adjusts in thumbnail view.

When using Cmd + O in Photoshop Mac version, you basically get an abbreviated Finder File Open dialog box with the thumbnails fixed at 64 px.

Not good given most modern monitors unless some of the Retina models are scaling them up for you. Mine is an older Macbook Pro.

There is a hack that works to revise the  size up. I last set it in Sierra,10.12

You will be using Pref Setter to set the iconSize value in com.apple.finder.plist This file is not visible to some users,so use the Go to Folder command and enter this path:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

http://www.nightproductions.net/prefsetter.html is where to download it. It's free and while a bit old does work.

Open com.apple.finder.plist in Pref Setter and change the iconSize value as shown. Press Enter to confirm the new value, save changes and exit.

Restart your Mac and your Open/Save dialog thumbnails should be as in my case 256 pixels instead of the default 64. Hope it goes well for you.

prefsetter.png

Then when I use Cmd + O or double-click on the empty pasteboard, these are what my thumbnails look like.

So far working in 10.13.6 and Photoshop CC 2019.

Screen Shot 2018-10-20 at 11.56.09 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines