1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 25, 2008 7:48 AM by Ashburton

CFObject COM object not working

Ashburton
      I'm at wit's end here. I know (hope) there is probably a simple explanation for this but I'm new to working with objects and I can't figure it out.

I've got an OCX file that was created for our company to generate software licence strings. It has worked all along but now that I try to call any of the methods or set any of the properties on my CF8 server all I get is an unexpected error:

An exception occurred when executing a COM method.
      The cause of this exception was that: AutomationException: 0x8000ffff - Catastrophic failure.

The OCX is registered properly and the COM object gets created because I can do a cfdump and get a list of the methods. The only thing I can think is that perhaps I don't have the class attribute of the CFObject tag correct. I used the ProgID data value that I found in the CLSID section of the file's registry entry. It was the only thing that seemed to work. So I create it like this:

<cfobject name="LicenceStr" type="com" action="create" class="LICENCE.LicenceCtrl.1">

Does anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong or another OCX file that I could test?

thanks in advance
        • 1. Re: CFObject COM object not working
          Ashburton Level 1
          Okay, I've tested this on both 8 and now MX 6.1 and it doesn't work on either, same Catastrophic error. Is this possibly a permissions thing? Is there someplace I could download a documented OCX file that I could test this against?

I'm a bit desperate to get this working, so any help is going to be greatly appreciated.