8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2008 2:42 AM by krughan

how to get sliced image into my table ?

krughan
      hi all :)
      i have created a sliced image of my country and added rollover with disjointed fx.
      i have also exported the code which works fine by it self.
      however when i try to get the code into a table cell on my website it breaks the table.

so please can you tell me what i have to do inorder to make it fit in please.

the site is www.365cityads dot com.
      here you can see a placeholder map of sweden thats were
      i want the sliced map to be

you can view the working map here on
      www.365cityads dot com/xmap/swemap.html

here you can see that everything is working but breaks when
      i try to get it to the index.php page.

please can anyone help me with this multiple nested table situation

thanks
      K
        • 1. Re: how to get sliced image into my table ?
          pixlor Level 4
          Oh gah!!!!

The whole point of using an image map is so that you do NOT have to slice an image into a complex table! To create the effect you have, you only need a to slice your image into a table with three rows (maybe four for efficiency), using with one main image and map for each row. If you are willing to put the labels in one place, you only need two rows. If you don't slice your image into such a complex table, then it won't break.

As it is, however, that table would take me many hours to figure out. I suggest that it would be much easier for you to start over and do it right. Use image maps the way they are intended to be used and don't slice up your image into a complex table.

Good luck!
          • 2. Re: how to get sliced image into my table ?
            krughan Level 1
            i have figured it out now pixlor i think you may have
            misunderstood me.

anyway i have now managed to place the map where
            i wanted it to be on the site

what i spent hours on was stacking/overlapping more than 8
            sclice to gather.......
            so to other newbies out there like myself dont stack more than
            8 slices or else some disjoints will not show.... after 3 hours
            i supposed i learnt the hard way

k
            • 3. Re: how to get sliced image into my table ?
              pixlor Level 4
              No, I did not misunderstand you. Your complex, silced table was breaking.

My point is still valid: you don't NEED to slice an image into a table when you use an image map. To do so is to use two techniques when one is sufficient.
              • 4. how to get sliced image into my table ?
                krughan Level 1
                Hi pixlor :)
                pixlor maybe im missing the bigger picture and there is something i can learn or maybe its due to my understanding of english.

after slicing up up sweden into 21 counties then exporting it to html
                it worked fine no problems at all. (are you saying i need not slicing ?)

my problems became about when i tried to fit the map into a table cell on my site (365cityads.com where you can see the map working now) that was the problem before as it was breaking up
                on every attempt.

so i looked back on the orginal working map code and notice
                there were 3 parts to it 1st to go in the header 2nd to go in the desired cell destination then the 3rd part was attached below
                (is it here that im doing worng ?)

as i said the map is in the right place on the site and seems to be doing what i wanted. however what i cant get over is the amount of code generated by firefox which makes the map slow to load on initial entry to the site (im using preload images too)
                (maybe im doing something wrong here. am i ?)

pixlor, by no way am i being confrontational with you in any sort
                of way. i assumed that you thought i was slicing the map sections into 21 matching table cells, how ever my assumption may and can be totaly wrong.

if you have time to look at the front page of the site and see the
                usage of the map and its code via right click . just to see if i used
                the software as intended. :) thanks.

i have use FW a few time (im not an expert) to do smaller stuff and
                i really thought that i was using it correctly but if there are other
                way that can make the map speed, cut code and/or an effecient
                way of doing the same thenig then i ask you please let me know
                or provide me with a link to reference(s)

thank you again for responding. your input means alot to me

Thanks
                k

• 5. Re: how to get sliced image into my table ?
                  Level 7
                  krughan wrote:
                  > Hi pixlor :)
                  > pixlor maybe im missing the bigger picture and there is something i can learn
                  > or maybe its due to my understanding of english.
                  >
                  > after slicing up up sweden into 21 counties then exporting it to html
                  > it worked fine no problems at all. (are you saying i need not slicing ?)
                  >
                  > my problems became about when i tried to fit the map into a table cell on my
                  > site (365cityadds.com where you can see the map working now) that was the
                  > problem before as it was breaking up
                  > on every attempt.
                  >
                  > so i looked back on the orginal could working map code and notice
                  > there were 3 parts to it 1st to go in the header 2nd to go in the desired cell
                  > destination then the 3rd part was attached below
                  > (is it here that im doing worng ?)
                  >
                  > as i said the map is in the right place on the site and seems to be doing what
                  > i wanted. however what i cant get over is the amount of code generated by
                  > firefox which makes the map slow to load on initial entry to the site (im
                  > using preload images too)
                  > (maybe im doing something wrong here. am i ?)
                  >
                  > pixlor, by no way am i being confrontational with you in any sort
                  > of way. i assumed that you thought i was slicing the map sections into 21
                  > matching table cells, how ever my assumption may and can be totaly wrong.
                  >
                  > if you have time to look at the front page of the site and see the
                  > usage of the map and its code via right click . just to see if i used
                  > the software as intended. :) thanks.
                  >
                  > i have use FW a few time (im not an expert) to do smaller stuff and
                  > i really thought that i was using it correctly but if there are other
                  > way that can make the map speed, cut code and/or an effecient
                  > way of doing the same thenig then i ask you please let me know
                  > or provide me with a link to reference(s)
                  >
                  > thank you again for responding. your input means alot to me
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  > k
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  This kind of complexity would be much better handled via Flash, but that
                  may be outside your experience at this point.

The code you saw was NOT generated by Firefox; it was the code generated
                  by Fireworks to pull off the effect you wanted. The lag you experienced
                  was Firefox having to download the code to the user's browser and then
                  Firefox having to parse and display all the elements

Generally, overlapping slices is not a good idea for many reasons -
                  bloated code being one of them. Other issues that can occur are
                  unreliable image display, multiple - unnecessary - sliced images and
                  migraines from having to edit the code at the source level <grin>.

--
                  Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
                  http://www.communityMX.com/
                  CommunityMX - Free Resources:
                  http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
                  ---
                  .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
                  Adobe Community Expert
                  http://tinyurl.com/2a7dyp
                  ---
                  See my work on Flickr
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/jim_babbage/
                  • 6. Re: how to get sliced image into my table ?
                    krughan Level 1
                    Jim
                    thank you for the response. it helped
                    a lot and now i understands.
                    well in the mean time ill have to put up
                    with the slowness till i can buy flash or
                    try some java disjoint to link method.

thank you too pixlor for trying to help out
                    and appologies for the crosswires :)

k
                    • 7. Re: how to get sliced image into my table ?
                      pixlor Level 4
                      Hmm.

I don't think it needs to be this hard. I've searched, though, and I can't find a good tutorial for a client-side image map with a disjoint (or remote) rollover effect.

I've found these, though:
                      http://www.htmlgoodies.com/tutorials/image_maps/article.php/3479741
                      http://www.kasparius.com/tutorials/imagemap/how.htm
                      http://www.nigelbee.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/image_map.htm
                      http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/javascript/2003/07/01/bonusrecipe.html

So...you already have your map coordinates. And you already have the code for your disjoint rollover. You just need to simplify your map. There's no reason to slice it up into a table like that at all.
                      • 8. Re: how to get sliced image into my table ?
                        krughan Level 1
                        Thanks pixlor
                        up till this reply i could not get my head fully around this
                        map malarky an was depending on software to solve my
                        situation.

you are a genius with those links i can now see a way to
                        do the same thing with much much less code thus increasing
                        load times of my current map

all i can say is wow. you hit the nail striaght in the head with
                        that answer.
                        all i need now is the time to get it all sorted.

you are a gem, thanks again
                        k