Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to export multiple copies of image as different file names

New Here ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm a product photographer, and I'm currently building out a very large image library for the company I'm working for.  Right now, some of the products I'm shooting have multiple sku's associated with them, because the products sometimes are sold in bundles with specific accessories.  I've currently added each SKU (separated by commas) as keyword tags, so that if I search for a particular SKU in Lightroom, I can pull up all of the possible views that I've got for each product.  After I complete my edits, each file has to be exported (and named per its SKU) for use in various web applications.

The filename structure looks like:  "SKU#_ANGLE#.jpg"... so, for example: "00400893_2.jpg"

The problem I'm having, is that if each image in a particular product line is associated with 4 skus, when it comes time to export the image, I have to export it 4 times, and then rename it 4 times -- manually -- once for each SKU.  Is there some way to automate this??  I have contemplated just picking 4 random metadata fields, and assigning each SKU to a different meta field, and then generating the file names on export using those fields, but maybe there is a better way to do this, that I'm overlooking?  If not, does anyone know of a plugin or some other means to be more efficient with this process.  It's not a big deal to do when I'm working on a few files here and there, but I'm getting to the point now, where I have to export a hundred images at a time -- which then becomes 400 images by the time i'm done.

Any insight would be awesome.

- J

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My thought would be to use virtual copies of your main image:

Name them with the angle# in the copyname field

You can have them in collapsed stacks for ease on management them expand the stacks before exporting and export with naming template of {filename}-{copyname} or something similar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Question is, is there a reasonable maximum number of SKU's associated with a product?

If so here's an idea that might work

Jeffery Friedl produces some really good plug-ins.

1. This one Jeffrey Friedl's Blog » Adding Your Own Custom Photo-Metadata Fields to Lightroom allows you to define your own field, so you could set up SKU1, SKU2, SKU3 and so on (which is why whether there is a fixed maximum is important).

You could set the fields to be browsable (see the plugin description) so they can be used in creating smart collections

2. Then set up 4 smart collection, one for each field, testing whether there is a value in the field, i.e is the field non-blank

Potential problem is that I'm not sure that these fields would be accessible to create the filename (Jeffery would answer this fairly promptly)

3. If they are available to in the export dialog then you could use the filename template editor to set up a preset for SKU1, SKU2 and so on for use in the exports.

4. If not then you might then have to use the wrangler plug-in http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/metadata-wrangler to overwrite a standard field prior to export and set this in the export preset

5. Then you just run an export on each of the smart collections created in step 2, either choosing the appropriate preset (created in step 3 or 4)

If the number of SKU's in open ended that this won't really work that well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!  I have never looked at any plugins for Lightroom before.  But I'm going to check into the two you mentioned and then I'll post back!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would help if you provided an example top-level SKU and associated image file names. Lacking that this may work as a simple solution.

1) Use the Text filter, enter the first top-level SKU, and copy it (CTRL + C).

2) In the Export File Naming panel create a template as shown below.

3) For each export paste the top-level SKU you copied in step 1 into the 'Custom Text' field

4) Make any other settings changes required and click on 'Add' in the Preset panel to create a new Export Preset for future use.

5) Repeat for each top-level SKU.

You can export them all to the same folder, which when sorted will list the image files grouped by top-level SKU name. It should be easy enough for anyone to use when creating product Web pages or Print documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wow Todd, thanks for the ideas!  I'm going to try your solution in comparison to ItWasNotMe​.  If neither work, I'll post back with more detail of my file organization hierarchy.  If one of these solutions works, I'll also post back with more detail, and share the solution I wound up using.  Thanks for responding to my post, I really appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines