• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2019, Transform>Distort Tool Issue

Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I often use the Transform>Distort tool on a rectangular selection (or an entire rectangular image in a separate layer of a many layered file). When using Photoshop 2019, the I am not able to pull a corner of the selection in both the x and y axis at the same time. One of the two axises remains fixed. This is a problem for the work I'm doing. Is there some button or tool preference that needs to be (un) checked. Driving me crazy.

As a note, if I open the same file in Photoshop 2018, I can drag a corner of the selection when using Transform>Distort freely. But I can't in Photoshop 2019, only in one axis at a time. A real problem.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe change the behavior  of transform.  You can add a PSUserConfig to correct this problem.

Transform proportionally by default

Photoshop now transforms some layer types (such as pixel layers, type layers, bitmaps, Placed Smart Objects) proportionally by default. Shapes and paths, that is vectors, still transform non-proportionally by default.

When transforming a layer, you sometimse no longer need to hold down the Shift key while dragging a corner handle to resize a selected layer to constrain its proportions. Sometimes you drag a corner handle during transform and move it, the layer resizes proportionally. Holding down the Shift key now sometimes resizes non-proportionally when you drag a corner handle during transform

How do I turn off the new proportional scaling by default behavior while transforming layers?

To revert to the legacy transform behavior, do the following:
  1. Use Notepad (Windows) or a text editor on Mac OS to create a plain text file (.txt).
  2. Type the text below in the text file:

TransformProportionalScale 0

3. Save the file as "PSUserConfig.txt" to your Photoshop settings folder:
    • Windows: [Installation Drive]:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings\
    • macOS: //Users/[User Name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings/

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJMack - worked for me. Great job. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "PSUserConfig.txt" preference did not work for me.

Am I dreaming? I used to be able to make a four sided figure conform to any other four sided figure by using the Distort Tool. I just selected one figure , chose Distort and dragged each of the four corners of the object to the four corresponding corners of the other.

Like taking a picture of piece of paper at an angle, and correcting it so that all four corners are 90º.

Can’t do that any more in CC 2019. And Adobe erased all of my previous versions of Photoshop when it upgraded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DaleH  wrote

And Adobe erased all of my previous versions of Photoshop when it upgraded.

Hi

You can re-install previous versions from the CC app

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not know why anyone would want a new inconsistant behavior

Transform proportionally SomeTimes

Photoshop now transforms some layer types (such as pixel layers, type layers, bitmaps, Placed Smart Objects) proportionally by default. Shapes and paths, that is vectors, still transform non-proportionally by default.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, JJ. I have saved your script should I need to alter my settings in the future. For now, holding down the shift key is working, allowing me to transform>distort non-proportionally (i.e. moved in both the x and y axises simultaneously) in the files I'm working on. Thanks for the tip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2019 Jan 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The new functionality seems to be holding the SHIFT key to be able to freely warp. Lots of weird changes to how the shift key modifies tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines