• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Want to export a file at 7000x7000 pixels with 300ppi- final result is larger dimension?

New Here ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

So I'm making some graphics for a friend that wants to apply it on a t-shirt.

My canvas size is 7000x7000 pixels, with 300 PPI. However when I export the image as a png with transparent background, the final resolution of the design is 21696 x 28577 pixels.

I'm guess the 300 ppi setting triples the original canvas dimensions? What's the workaround for this?

Do I have to do something like divide my desire canvas size by the 300PPI?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

So you want to export a 7000x7000 pixel document and have it stay at exactly those dimensions?

Just leave the ppi at 72.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you want to export a 7000x7000 pixel document and have it stay at exactly those dimensions?

Just leave the ppi at 72.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to know, thanks!

When you have time, could you describe more about how PPI effects resolution?

If I work with large dimensions like this for prints in the future, is there any reason to go with something greater than 300 ppi?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As for specifications for print you'll need to always ask the print service for their specifications. And then deliver what they tell you. If you don't understnd what they want, ask them. They know their machines.

As for the PPI and resolution thing, please refer to your favourite search engine, there are dozens of tutorials about it.

If someone asks for specified pixel dimensions, resolution is irrelevant. Only the number of pixels matters. You can later open the exported file in Photoshop and set a different resolution, but this won't change the number of pixels in the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika

Thanks for all the helpful answers!

Last question I have is whether this condition matters when I'm printing from a PDF?

Say I'm wanting to print a poster sized piece, and have it at 300 ppi. I'm guessing since I know my dimensions, I'll just stick with 72 ppi.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you're printing a poster, you know the real-world dimensions of your piece. If your 7000 x 7000 px is fixed, the ppi will ultimately depend on those.

At 72 ppi, 7000 pixels is 246.94 centimetres.

At 300 ppi, it's 59.27 cm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Key point: and confusing: if you export a file, sized in pixels, it will only be that size in pixels if you choose 72 ppi. Otherwise, size in inches or mm: just do the simple math to get the size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines