8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2018 5:37 PM by DavePinMinn

1:1 Preview behavior...

DavePinMinn Level 1

Windows 10, Alienware 17" laptop, 32GB memory, nVidia GTX970, SSD for O/S, separate SSD for catalogs, cache, and so on.

I'm trying to figure out 1:1 previews...  They take a LONG time.

Scenario:

I shoot some images - 100, 1000, whatever.  And I import them into the current version of LR.  During the import I SPECIFY 1:1 previews.  Eventually, they get imported.

Hop into Library and open one.  Comes up fine.  Click the mouse to go to 1:1, and sit and wait.  Eventually the "Loading" popup shows up.  Several seconds later the image finally clears and displays the 1:1 image.  Hit the arrow to go to the next image and wait as it churns and finally displays the 100% image.

OR

Shoot same images.

Import them with Standard.  They import.

THEN, in library, TELL IT to Create 1:1 previews.  Again, eventually they get done.

Hop into Library and open one.  Comes up fine.  Click the mouse to go to 1:1, and sit and wait.  Eventually the "Loading" popup shows up.  Several seconds later the image finally clears and displays the 1:1 image.  Same behavior...

Yes, they're fairly large, D850 images, and the very tiny D500 images display at 1:1 faster, but STILL often show the "loading" popup so they're certainly not instant.

BUT, I thought the whole purpose of creating the 1:1 previews was so they were sitting there on the SSD (where the whole catalog is) and would display essentially instantly, not after churning for 5 or 10 seconds for every image.

As near as I can tell, it's NO FASTER than NOT creating the 1:1 previews.  Seems to take the same amount of time if I import as Standard, then click the image to go to 100%.  They both just sit there and churn with the "Loading" popup and eventually load the large image.

Am I missing something that should make this actually work faster?  And before you blame the laptop, the Windows desktop, with a lot more horsepower and memory ALSO has about the same performance.

• 1. Re: 1:1 Preview behavior...
          JohanEl54 Adobe Community Professional

I think that generating 1:1 previews on import has very limited use. Each time that Lightroom makes a small change, the previews need to be updated again and so it doesn't matter whether you made 1:1 or not. I also think that there may be a bug in the sequence. When certain settings are applied via the camera defaults, those settings should be applied first and then the 1:1 preview should be generated. However, as you have noticed, it seems that in reality the previews already need to be updated the first time you use them...

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: 1:1 Preview behavior...
            DavePinMinn Level 1

In that case, when I do the import THEN tell it to create 1:1 previews there shouldn't be ANY changes 'til after I look at the images.  UNLESS putting a color label on an image causes all the OTHER images to lose their previews..

For me, the whole point of 1:1 previews is so I can go through a LOT of images, checking closely, QUICKLY, so I can figure out which ones are worth keeping to process.  I'm not DOING any settings - no camera anything, no basic changes, no nothing.

The only thing that gets done with the previews is sometimes a color assignment (red, which means it's garbage and can be deleted once a bunch are labeled).  So when DO I generate the 1:1 previews so the images will display a WHOLE lot faster?

• 3. Re: 1:1 Preview behavior...
              thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You want 1:1 if you're going to zoom in (to 1:1) and check focus. Which is something that's necessary often for some kinds of photography. No free lunch; you build them in mass in import or wait as it's built as you zoom into the images.

LR isn't very fast at this kind of stuff. You might want to consider using something like FastRawViewer then decide what to import if this is really a workflow slowdown:

https://www.fastrawviewer.com/about-and-features

• 4. Re: 1:1 Preview behavior...

Another option would be to import with 'Embedded & Sidecar' as option for the previews. You will be looking at the embedded (camera-generated) previews in that case, but for checking things like sharpness that is no problem. That is what apps like FastRawViewer and PhotoMechanic do as well.

• 5. Re: 1:1 Preview behavior...
                  DavePinMinn Level 1

Yes, I know LR is very slow at creating the previews.  It's just another limitation.  My problem ISN'T the hours it takes to have LR CREATE the previews, it's that the things STILL don't display quickly once they're created.

If you look at the original post, you'll see the scenarios.  My expectation is that once they're imported, and with NOTHING being done to the images, I want to view them at 100% to check focus.  So, I build 1:1 previews.  Unfortunately, even AFTER all that waiting for them to build, it STILL takes forever for every image to bring UP the preview, displaying the "loading" popup for several seconds every time.

What's the point of wasting hours to have Lightroom build them if it can't use them effectively?

I know "Embedded & Sidecar" is an option.  A poor one.  Have you ever looked at the embedded preview at 100%?  They're marginally useful viewing the whole image, and useless for checking critical focus at 100%.

It sounds like the ability to build a 1:1 preview for an image, then open the image, click it to 100% and have it DISPLAY that 1:1 image QUICKLY (as in a WHOLE lot faster than the 5 - 10 seconds it currently takes) is something Lightroom still doesn't do very well.

• 6. Re: 1:1 Preview behavior...

DavePinMinn  wrote

I know "Embedded & Sidecar" is an option.  A poor one.  Have you ever looked at the embedded preview at 100%?  They're marginally useful viewing the whole image, and useless for checking critical focus at 100%.

I believe that depends on the camera. Most cameras embed a full size preview, so there is no reason why that preview would be worse for checking the sharpness than the full size preview that Lightroom generates. AFAIK, that is how Photo Mechanic works, and many photographers use that application for just this purpose. Some cameras only embed a small preview. The idea behind 'Embedded & Sidecar' is that you shoot RAW+JPEG with these cameras, so Lightroom can use the JPEG as 'embedded' full-size preview.

• 7. Re: 1:1 Preview behavior...
                      Jim Wilde Adobe Community Professional

DavePinMinn  wrote

It sounds like the ability to build a 1:1 preview for an image, then open the image, click it to 100% and have it DISPLAY that 1:1 image QUICKLY (as in a WHOLE lot faster than the 5 - 10 seconds it currently takes) is something Lightroom still doesn't do very well.

It's supposed to do it well, and it does on my systems. Given that this is happening in the Library module I'd suspect your preview cache has a problem. Simple test: close Lightroom, rename the associated previews cache, start Lightroom (no previews will be initially available), select a few images in Library, build the 1:1 previews, when that's finished zoom to 1:1 on those images. Is there still a loading delay? If not, then that would indicate (to me) that the original previews cache is faulty, in which case I'd stick with the newly created one, even though that means rebuilding previews (though I wouldn't do it all at once, I'd do most recent first and work backwards as needed).

• 8. Re: 1:1 Preview behavior...
                        DavePinMinn Level 1

This is a short-term catalog used for preliminary culling and such.  So, clearing cache, blowing away the previews, even deleting the whole catalog isn't a big deal.  This whole catalog, preview and everything associated with it gets deleted and recreated regularly since it's not the "real" LR catalog...

Currently, the LR cache is set to 50GB, and lives on a partition on an SSD.  The short-term catalog and all the LR previews are in their own partition on an SSD that's only used for short-term things.  There's nothing competing with this stuff and no issue deleting all the previews. 

Blew away EVERYTHING except the lrcat file.  Took a folder with 50 images, opened it and had LR rebuild the 1:1 previews.  I'm going to say the display is "faster" but that may be wishful thinking.  It's still slow, but I'm going to say the "loading" popup isn't onscreen as long.  And when it goes away, the LONG lag between "loading" disappearing and the image actually sharpening SEEMS shorter.

I haven't tried this on the laptop yet, which suffers from REALLY slow 1:1 previews - FAR worse than the desktop.  But, I'm going to assume that any improvement is a good thing.  It'll be interesting to see how frequently I have to delete the entire short-term world and rebuild to gain even this improvement.

I'll try this tomorrow with a REAL folder of a day's images - between 1000 and 1500 from the D850, let LR build the 1:1 previews and see how it holds up when it has to do actual work.

Thanks for the help.  As I said, it's far from instantaneous but at the moment I think it's better than it was...