3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2018 6:45 AM by JohanEl54

After deleting *all* previews still huge folder

jthomas65

Hi,

after deleting *all* smart previews and 1:1 previews (from inside LR) my

"Lightroom Catalog Previews.lrdata" folder is still 22GB sized on my SSD drive

("rela" photos are on external devices)

any advices? (deleting manually contents?)

have a nice weekend

• 1. Re: After deleting *all* previews still huge folder
          JohanEl54 Adobe Community Professional

That is nothing special. My previews are 293 GB (for a catalog of 180,000 images).

• 2. Re: After deleting *all* previews still huge folder
            jthomas65 Level 1

I think mine are more than 300,000 images in two external drives...what I was wondering is why, if I delete all existing previews, there are still more than 20Gb used in the "empty" folder

• 3. Re: After deleting *all* previews still huge folder
              JohanEl54 Adobe Community Professional

jthomas65  wrote

I think mine are more than 300,000 images in two external drives...what I was wondering is why, if I delete all existing previews, there are still more than 20Gb used in the "empty" folder

That folder isn't empty at all. The  standard previews are a pyramid of different sizes, starting with thumbnail size and going up all the way to your screen size. You only deleted the 1:1 previews (used when you zoom in), not the standard-sized preview pyramid. And if you did delete those as well, Lightroom would immediately start to rebuild them because what you see in Lightroom (your thumbnail grid, the image in loupe view) is previews, not originals. So the effect would only be temporary.

Smart previews have nothing to do with this. The name 'smart preview' is misleading, because it's not a preview at all. It's a small substitute for your original image, so 'smart proxy' would have been a better name.

1 person found this helpful