12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2018 5:06 PM by R Neil Haugen

Proxy file clip

inquestflash Level 1

Hi forum.

I had a large clip 3.5GB which was an AE intro and was lagging my timeline, so I made it into a proxy clip, but once I started using it in my timeline, the rest of my

clips which are on their own video layer were strobing or disappearing suddenly re appearing again. The proxy file itself was playing smoothly thought with no issues. What's causing this behaviour?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Proxy file clip
          R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Was that still an Ae comp on your sequence?

Much of the time, if you have a comp 'finished' in Ae, rather than continue with a dynamic link Ae comp, it's wiser to export the comp out of Ae as a high-quality intermediate file, such as Cineform, DNxHD/R, or ProRes (last only if on a Mac) ... then replace the comp on your sequence with a standard video clip.

At that point, doing other things like adding more effects or creating proxies work quite well.

Neil

• 2. Re: Proxy file clip
            inquestflash Level 1

Hi Neil.

My AE comp was exported as a high resolution  AVI RGBA file, 3.5GB in total.  I didnt use as a dynamic link.

• 3. Re: Proxy file clip

Ok ... what proxy file type, what's your other media  ... and maybe a screengrab of your sequence/timeline. Drag/drop a png in your reply box.

Neil

• 4. Re: Proxy file clip
                inquestflash Level 1

Here's some screen shots Neil, hope they can give some insight on what's happening.

On the 1st screen shot as seen my AE file is greatly large, so once I import it into Premiere I make it a proxy file H.264.

Pr_1.jpg

And Once the proxy file is created I click on and off the proxy button, once checked the alpha is lost, all I see is just black, only the original file maintains the alpha.

Pr_2.jpg

• 5. Re: Proxy file clip

I'm not sure the proxies can carry the alpha channel.

Neil

• 6. Re: Proxy file clip
                    inquestflash Level 1

Hmm, ok Neil, thanks for the reply, I hope some Adobe staff can answer and clarify if it's true or not. I'm trying to find a solution surfing the net. But for now I use a blend mode at least, just so I can place the video in it's correct timeline, so that's an option I guess.

Kind regards,

• 7. Re: Proxy file clip

I'm going to ask around and see if I can get an answer about proxies & alpha.

Neil

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Proxy file clip

Just realized you used the H.264 for proxy ... not one I ever recommend.

Have you tried using the Cineform proxy preset?

Neil

• 9. Re: Proxy file clip
                          TrentHappel Adobe Employee

If your Full Res has an Alpha channel and you create a Proxy with Alpha channel, then the Alpha channel should come through. There is a limitation that if the Full Res does Not have Alpha, but Proxy does have Alpha, then Proxy will display opaque (will not use Alpha channel).

The default Proxy presets with Premiere do not contain Alpha channel settings, so you will have to create a custom Ingest Proxy preset. Current format choices would be QuickTime GoPro CineForm with RGBA 12-bpc + Alpha or QuickTime ProRes 4444 with 8-bpc + alpha or 16-bpc + alpha

More info on creating Ingest Proxy presets: Adobe Premiere Pro Help | Ingest and Proxy Workflow in Adobe Premiere Pro CC

Hope this helps.

• 10. Re: Proxy file clip

Wow ... thanks for popping in!

I was kind of wondering if one needed to create specific alpha-capable proxy presets. So, we do ... good to know, and thanks!

Neil

• 11. Re: Proxy file clip
                              inquestflash Level 1

Thanks for the helpful insight Trent, and thanks you too Neil for your effort.

Kind regards.

• 12. Re: Proxy file clip

Of course ... my main reason for being on here is that when I started some years back, I'd 30 plus years as a professional stills photographer (as my total source of living) and had been darn good at running a color lab for picky sot portrait pros like my wife and I. I though adding in video would be very similar.

Hoo ... boy. Assumptions like that have destroyed civilizations!

So, the helpful people here and other places got me away from screaming at my computer so much, and getting stuff done. I appreciated that so much ... and besides, I'm one of those who gets a new toy and immediately wants to take it apart and see how it works.

So reading posts here is a great way to get some understanding of things I don't know as well as I could. Over time, well, I can help more as I continue to learn.

And most of all ... as someone who's had to get the work out the door! for so many years, the work has to get done, and frequently, now would be a very good time. Or those nice people who buy our stuff that pays all our bills won't buy our stuff anymore. That's ... a BAD thing!

Neil