• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opinions on this Video Editing Laptop Configuration?

New Here ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Forum Members,

I need to update an ancient Nvida 650M laptop running CS6, which struggles with FHD

My anticipated workload is FHD keeping the CS6, but I anticipate having to upgrade to CC and 4k in the future.

Does anyone have any feedback on this option?

Currently priced at 1,979.99 + TAX (with coupon)

OMEN Laptop - 17t Best Value

32 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM (2x16GB)

Intel® Core™ i7-8750H (2.2 GHz, up to 4.1 GHz, 9 MB cache, 6 cores) + NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 (8 GB GDDR5 dedicated)

17.3" diagonal 4K IPS anti-glare WLED-backlit (3840 x 2160)

8-cell 86 Wh Lithium-ion Battery

1 TB 7200 rpm SATA; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD

Intel® Wireless-AC 9560 802.11b/g/n/ac (2x2) Gigabit Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 5 Combo(MU-MIMO supported)

HP Wide Vision FHD IR Camera and dual array digital microphone with 1Thunderboltâ„¢ 3

Windows 10 Home 64

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

You may be able to edit without proxies, depending upon the effects used, but if you use demanding effects like Lumetri, Neat Video, and some others, it may be difficult to spec out a laptop that won't need proxies.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks OK to me.  You may need to use proxies for 4K.

It won't be as fast on battery power as it will on line power.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Peru Bob. Those are good points. What would it take to edit 4K without proxies?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may be able to edit without proxies, depending upon the effects used, but if you use demanding effects like Lumetri, Neat Video, and some others, it may be difficult to spec out a laptop that won't need proxies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, makes sense. Thank you, Peru Bob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 06, 2018 Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can edit 4k without proxies on a Dell XPS 15 with the new 2.9 GHz i9 CPU, 32 GB memory and an NVME drive.  This is a standard spec Dell in the UK, available from John Lewis and PCWorld.

You still need to have your media on a very fast external drive - I use a GTech thunderbolt 3 drive which has two NVME drives in the case.

This set-up cost me around £3100, but I am convinced that it is money well spent.  It is atually faster than my very high spec desktop with 4K for many editing functions.

I am planning to add a caldigit TB3 dock to take advantage of my desktop monitoring when I am at home.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, Alan Craven. That is great information. I'll look into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines