14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2008 4:47 PM by Newsgroup_User

Exported slices not working in Dreamweaver

Michaela1 Level 1
      I'm hoping someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong. I created a simple rollover in fireworks, an image that when you rollover it will reveal text. I followed instructions from a tutorial, created my duplicate frame, everything looked great when I tested the rollover in preview in fireworks but when I exported to dreamweaver the rollover didn't work. I exported images with html, I didn't say just this frame, not sure what I'm doing wrong. I know this should work. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
        • 1. Re: Exported slices not working in Dreamweaver
          Level 7
          Michaela1 wrote:
          > I'm hoping someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong. I created a simple
          > rollover in fireworks, an image that when you rollover it will reveal text. I
          > followed instructions from a tutorial, created my duplicate frame, everything
          > looked great when I tested the rollover in preview in fireworks but when I
          > exported to dreamweaver the rollover didn't work. I exported images with html,
          > I didn't say just this frame, not sure what I'm doing wrong. I know this should
          > work. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
          >

Did you preview the page in a browser via Dreamweaver, or are you
          expecting the rollover to work IN Dreamweaver?

DW won't display a rollover effect in the edit window; you have to
          preview the page in a browser to see it work.

If you did preview and it's not working, remove the behavior from the
          behaviors panel and add the roll over via DW, rather than relying on
          FW's html.

--
          Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
          http://www.communityMX.com/
          CommunityMX - Free Resources:
          http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
          ---
          .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
          Adobe Community Expert
          http://tinyurl.com/2a7dyp
          ---
          See my work on Flickr
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/jim_babbage/
          • 2. Re: Exported slices not working in Dreamweaver
            Michaela1 Level 1
            I did preview in a browser through fireworks and the rollover worked great but when I exported everything to dreamweaver and uploaded it the rollover didn't work. The only way I could do it was to do swap image in dreamweaver. I was actually creating a swap image, I think of it as a rollover because when the image swapped you saw the image with the text revealed telling you what it would lead to (if that makes any sense)

What do you mean add the rollover via DW? Do you mean do the swap image within DW? I just feel frustrated I can't make the FW work since everything says FW does it all for you and all you do is export it.

Thanks for your response!
            • 3. Re: Exported slices not working in Dreamweaver
              pixlor Level 4
              Fireworks is certainly a powerful Web graphics program, but it is not a general Web development environment. Where are you getting the idea that Fireworks does "everything for you?"

The main Adobe page for Fireworks says
              quote:

Rapidly prototype and design for the web
              Accelerate web design and development with Adobe® Fireworks® CS3 software, the ideal tool for creating and optimizing images for the web and rapidly prototyping websites.

The Product Overview page says
              quote:

What is Fireworks?
              Accelerate web design and development with Adobe® Fireworks® CS3 software, the ideal tool for creating and optimizing images for the web and rapidly prototyping websites and web applications. Fireworks CS3 offers the flexibility to edit both vector and bitmap images, a common library of prebuilt assets, and timesaving integration with Adobe Photoshop® CS3, Adobe Illustrator® CS3, Adobe Dreamweaver® CS3, and Adobe Flash® CS3 software. Mock up designs quickly in Fireworks, or leverage other assets from Illustrator, Photoshop, and Flash. Then move directly into Dreamweaver CS3 for easy development and deployment.

This is the official marketing material and it It doesn't say anything about doing "everything for you." Fireworks is a graphics program that is capable of writing HTML for mock ups and prototypes. When you want to develop a full site, Fireworks is great for creating graphics, but it isn't suitable for writing code. Use a text editor or a program (like Dreamweaver) that is designed for site development. Fireworks is not the right tool for the job.

• 4. Re: Exported slices not working in Dreamweaver
                heathrowe Most Valuable Participant
                quote:

Originally posted by: Michaela1
                I did preview in a browser through fireworks and the rollover worked great but when I exported everything to dreamweaver and uploaded it the rollover didn't work. The only way I could do it was to do swap image in dreamweaver. I was actually creating a swap image, I think of it as a rollover because when the image swapped you saw the image with the text revealed telling you what it would lead to (if that makes any sense)

At the Export dialog in Fw, did you have 'Slices :Export Slices' option selected?
                Also click the Option command on the right and select Dreamweaver html.

h
                • 5. Re: Exported slices not working in Dreamweaver
                  Michaela1 Level 1
                  I didn't mean that literally but in tutorials it says create the graphic and fireworks will put together the html needed to export with the slices for it to work in dreamweaver. I'm thinking it must just be some option I didn't select.

• 6. Re: Exported slices not working in Dreamweaver
                    Level 7
                    Michaela1 wrote:
                    > I didn't mean that literally but in tutorials it says create the graphic and
                    > fireworks will put together the html needed to export with the slices for it to
                    > work in dreamweaver. I'm thinking it must just be some option I didn't select.

No, it's not. You really should not depend on Fireworks to create final
                    site code. It's the wrong tool for that job no matter what some
                    tutorials say. Any graphic application is ill suited by its very nature
                    to the work of creating a Web page code structure because that requires
                    a different thinking than just the visuals and cannot be efficiently
                    automated. As pixlor explained, you need to create the code in
                    Dreamweaver or another similarly suitable Web authoring application.

Fireworks is fine for HTML prototypes but nothing more.

--
                    Stéphane Bergeron
                    reach:connect:communicate
                    www.webfocusdesign.com
                    blog:tutorials:articles:gallery
                    www.pixelyzed.com
                    • 7. Re: Exported slices not working in Dreamweaver
                      quote:

I didn't mean that literally but in tutorials it says create the graphic and fireworks will put together the html needed to export with the slices for it to work in dreamweaver. I'm thinking it must just be some option I didn't select.

This is fine Michael. The Help file showcases some round tripping methods that use this html as you describe.
                      If you are comfortable with the html output from Fw, and the round-tripping support to Dreamweaver then stick to it.
                      I WOULD NOT TAKE Stephane's advise at face value.

His advise does no justice to new FW users, nor to those who don't use Dreamweaver, yet alone the roundtripping capabilities between the two applications.

Michael, if the end result works and what you created is fine with you, then super. I wouldn't let the the 'high and mighty' attitude of some get to you.

h
                      • 8. Re: Exported slices not working in Dreamweaver
                        Level 7
                        heathrowe wrote:
                        >
                        quote:

> I didn't mean that literally but in tutorials it says create the graphic and
                        > fireworks will put together the html needed to export with the slices for it to
                        > work in dreamweaver. I'm thinking it must just be some option I didn't select.
                        >

>
                        > This is fine Michael. The Help file showcases some round tripping methods that
                        > use this html as you describe.
                        > If you are comfortable with the html output from Fw, and the round-tripping
                        > support to Dreamweaver then stick to it.
                        > I WOULD NOT TAKE Stephane's advise at face value.
                        >
                        > His advise does no justice to new FW users, nor to those who don't use
                        > Dreamweaver, yet alone the roundtripping capabilities between the two
                        > applications.
                        >
                        > Michael, if the end result works and what you created is fine with you, then
                        > super. I wouldn't let the the 'high and mighty' attitude of some get to you.
                        >
                        > h
                        >

The point Stephane is making - and rightly so - to use the right tool
                        for the job. I can create html files from MS Word, but I won't, because
                        of how Word generates the html (or at least how it *used* to. No idea
                        what it does in the latest iteration). FW generates passable html, but
                        it is NOT an html editor.

Example 1: It doesn't export text as text unless you ensure you create
                        html slices, and even then, if the output is a table layout, the layout
                        can explode if the text content is changed or even altered in size by
                        the user.

Example 2: Its comprehension of CSS is very poor, if you think of the
                        program as a web page editor. As a graphics editor, hey at least it can
                        export layers. With the addition of the Smart CSS extension, things are
                        even better, but that is not native FW functionality.

Knowing your way around "under the hood" of a web page is still an
                        important skill *if* you are producing content for clients and being
                        paid to do it. IMO, that is part of what being a professional is all
                        about, and it's worth noting I make a distinction between the
                        professional and casual user.

Very often we assume on this forum that those asking questions are
                        either in the profession, or planning to be, so at times the advice
                        given may seem a bit - impassioned - shall we say. But this is done for
                        a good reason. To help steer people down the right path. To help them
                        understand that there may be better, more standardized, consistent or
                        even just preferred ways of doing things in a professional manner.

FW's html has improved over time, but the program is not intended to be
                        a web page creation tool; it's a graphic design tool. As the software
                        evolves, maybe this will change somewhat, but no one can really say.

Now if you're just building a site for fun and are not concerned about
                        all that high-falluting pro mumbo jumbo, then hey, as Heathrowe says, go
                        ahead. And by all means use FW as a learning tool. Just understand there
                        are tools more suited to the job of creating html pages than FW.

:-)

--
                        ---
                        Adobe Community Expert
                        ---
                        See my work on Flickr
                        • 9. Re: Exported slices not working in Dreamweaver
                          Michaela1 Level 1
                          Well at this point, I guess I"ll just work with what seems to work best, thanks for all your input.
                          • 10. Re: Exported slices not working in Dreamweaver
                            No doubt at all Jim :)
                            And I perfectly understand everything you've said.

It's when a question comes up, an 'the' answer given is no where near the question. In fact it drives users away from Fw.

Regardless if a user wants to use Fw Behavior or Rollover and needs assitance with it, to tell him to forget it, all tutorials stating so are wrong is just, well, too many choice of words to use here.

Go back a few pages on this forum and how many questions go unanswered or the last words are 'Fw is not meant for this, you shouldn't do that in Fw' etc. I don't know what justice that gives the user, when in fact they are legitimate uses, because they are in the application.

I know some of us here know the 'in's and outs' of making a 'standard page' but not everyone is at that level. As for me I'd rather work on the same page as the user asking the question with what they trying to accomplish in Fw than gear them away from it.

h

• 11. Re: Exported slices not working in Dreamweaver
                              Level 7
                              heathrowe wrote:
                              > No doubt at all Jim :)
                              > And I perfectly understand everything you've said.
                              >
                              > It's when a question comes up, an 'the' answer given is no where near the
                              > question. In fact it drives users away from Fw.
                              >
                              > Regardless if a user wants to use Fw Behavior or Rollover and needs assitance
                              > with it, to tell him to forget it, all tutorials stating so are wrong is just,
                              > well, too many choice of words to use here.
                              >
                              > Go back a few pages on this forum and how many questions go unanswered or the
                              > last words are 'Fw is not meant for this, you shouldn't do that in Fw' etc. I
                              > don't know what justice that gives the user, when in fact they are legitimate
                              > uses, because they are in the application.
                              >
                              > I know some of us here know the 'in's and outs' of making a 'standard page'
                              > but not everyone is at that level. As for me I'd rather work on the same page
                              > as the user asking the question with what they trying to accomplish in Fw than
                              > gear them away from it.
                              >
                              > h
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              Well said. I think both points of view are valid. It's all about
                              perspective.

--
                              ---
                              Adobe Community Expert
                              ---
                              See my work on Flickr
                              • 12. Re: Exported slices not working in Dreamweaver
                                Level 7
                                Perhaps there is a thought along lines of:

to visualize the concept FW works good.

To render up the visualisation/concept to sector standards requires DW
                                in all its glory.

It can be important if there are multiple designs on the go (DW probably
                                can't handle that too well but FW can). Once a design has been accepted
                                it can be beefed up and sector standardised in DW as one wishes.

Jim Babbage .:CMX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:. wrote:
                                > heathrowe wrote:
                                >> No doubt at all Jim :)
                                >> And I perfectly understand everything you've said.
                                >>
                                >> It's when a question comes up, an 'the' answer given is no where near
                                >> the question. In fact it drives users away from Fw.
                                >>
                                >> Regardless if a user wants to use Fw Behavior or Rollover and needs
                                >> assitance with it, to tell him to forget it, all tutorials stating so
                                >> are wrong is just, well, too many choice of words to use here.
                                >>
                                >> Go back a few pages on this forum and how many questions go
                                >> unanswered or the last words are 'Fw is not meant for this, you
                                >> shouldn't do that in Fw' etc. I don't know what justice that gives the
                                >> user, when in fact they are legitimate uses, because they are in the
                                >> application.
                                >>
                                >> I know some of us here know the 'in's and outs' of making a 'standard
                                >> page' but not everyone is at that level. As for me I'd rather work on
                                >> the same page as the user asking the question with what they trying to
                                >> accomplish in Fw than gear them away from it.
                                >>
                                >> h
                                >>
                                >>
                                > Well said. I think both points of view are valid. It's all about
                                > perspective.
                                >
                                • 13. Re: Exported slices not working in Dreamweaver
                                  Michaela1 Level 1
                                  I have dreamweaver and a website, a fan site, I'm sort of learning as I go along. I tried using fireworks once to export a navigation dropdown menu and it worked so I just assumed I was somehow exporting the rollover incorrectly. But I see what you mean, once it gets into dreamweaver all sorts of things can distort the html it may create. I guess the best solution then is to just create the graphic in FW then use Dreamweaver swap image behavior for the rollover. The only problem I found with that is when I mouse over the image to reveal the text of the second swap image, the image sort of jumps as it swaps. Thanks for being patient with a newbie.
                                  I'm not a professional by any means so I have lots to learn!

• 14. Re: Exported slices not working in Dreamweaver
                                    Level 7
                                    Learning is cool, and in IT stuff happens all of the time - it's got to
                                    because that is the framework and hardware-software hybrid that the
                                    stuff takes place.

Now imagine you are a pro designer working towards a design spec.

You have three or four or maybe more concepts buzzing about and need to
                                    sketch these out and possibly (probably?) discuss these with a client.

How to do so?

Start DW and spend many hours of coding, resource generation, creation
                                    of images, ... ?

Or maybe fire up FW, sketch out ideas, send as PDFs and animated GIFs,
                                    discuss with client, shortlist based on visualisation of each concept,
                                    then firm up the design concept in appropriate standards based
                                    application whether it be ID, DW, Flash, ... a combination of all of
                                    these?

Michaela1 wrote:
                                    > I have dreamweaver and a website, a fan site, I'm sort of learning as I go
                                    > along. I tried using fireworks once to export a navigation dropdown menu and it
                                    > worked so I just assumed I was somehow exporting the rollover incorrectly. But
                                    > I see what you mean, once it gets into dreamweaver all sorts of things can
                                    > distort the html it may create. I guess the best solution then is to just
                                    > create the graphic in FW then use Dreamweaver swap image behavior for the
                                    > rollover. The only problem I found with that is when I mouse over the image to
                                    > reveal the text of the second swap image, the image sort of jumps as it swaps.
                                    > Thanks for being patient with a newbie.
                                    > I'm not a professional by any means so I have lots to learn!
                                    >
                                    >
                                    >