• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tagging a PDF generated from Google Slides deletes PDF content

New Here ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a bit new to tagging in PDF's, so not sure if this is me or a limitation/compatibility issue.....

I'm using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC 2019 on a Windows 10 machine to create accessible PDF's from a variety of sources.  I generally use the "autotag" function to add tags to the content so that it becomes relatively accessible and I can edit it from there.  However, I'm running into a problem with a Google Slides presentation that I saved as a PDF and then opened in Acrobat to make accessible.  In Slides I have used the "alt text" and other accessibility features to mark it up for accessibility as much as is practical. 

When I open the PDF in Acrobat Pro and go to the tags tool, it says "no tags available".  So, I open the accessibility tool and click "Autotag document". The recognition report comes up and says 26 figures are missing alt text.  Okay, no big deal - so I start scrolling through the document or clicking on tags to get to those items and correct them.  I see that on just about every slide it is missing text and/or images in large chunks.  Like, all the text bullets with a few sentences each are gone, some (but not all) images are gone.  Some tables remain in structure only, but the text within them is gone (so I just see an empty grid of lines).  About the only thing that consistently remains is the title text and background color/image on each slide.

Any thoughts on what is going wrong and how I might correct it?  I'm thinking my next thing to try is to take the file from Google Slides to MS PPT to Adobe PDF and see if that conversion path renders a file that can be successfully tagged. 

Here are some screenshots of a page in the PDF before and after doing "autotag document":

before.png

after.png

TOPICS
Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Disclaimer: I gave up using Google Docs, Slides, etc. due to the excessive problems with accessibility.

In your second screen cap with the missing content, did you check to see if it's there (but hidden) in Acrobat's Content tab? For example, the white background object could now be in front of the text and arrow content, hiding it from view. If that's the case, just slide the "missing" content up/down in the tree until it's visible again.

Definitely try a different workflow, such as the following:

• Print to PDF in Google Docs. It won't have a shred of accessibility, but Acrobat's AutoTag might have an easier time with the content.
  • Google Docs to PPT to PDF might work. I'd give it a try.

Remember, Acrobat's AutoTag utility is relatively new. It works on AI and the document's construction. I'm not surprised that it can't figure out what's in the Google Slides document! <grin>.

—Bevi Chagnon

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines