3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2018 10:45 AM by edit131a@insp.com

DNxSQ MXF file - export audio as single stereo audio track

edit131a@insp.com Level 1

We're switching to PC from Mac, which means we're loosing the ability to master to ProRes.

In place of PR422, we're adopting the DNxSQ codec as our default.

What I'm finding in my test exports is that the .mxf file contains 2 audio tracks, mono left, mono right.

When brought back into Premiere, the file must be modified (modified audio channels) in order to get the single stereo track.

Is it possible to export a DNxSQ file in the mxf wrapper with a single stereo audio track?

Is it possible to have Premiere do this on import rather than having to modify it after import?

thanks!

• 1. Re: DNxSQ MXF file - export audio as single stereo audio track
          R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think what you want could be easily handled by creating custom sequence settings and other workflow processes.

Jarle Leirpoll might have the best answers for this.

Neil

• 2. Re: DNxSQ MXF file - export audio as single stereo audio track
            Jarle Leirpoll Level 3

When you export DNx files from Premiere, they will always be multi-track mono, not stereo. There's no automated way to make Premiere interpret these mono tracks as stereo without importing every other mono clip as stereo too. This setting will make Premiere do what you want, but it will affect all other mono sources you import too.

Screen Shot  002.PNG

You can select ll the clips in one go and hit Shift+G to interpret all clips at once.

Question: Why have you chosen n DNxSQ? I belive it's only 8-bit, so I would choose DNxHR HQX, because it's 10-bit. You can make your own HD size presets if you need to.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: DNxSQ MXF file - export audio as single stereo audio track
              edit131a@insp.com Level 1

I did more digging and it seems that OP1a format does not support Muxed audio, which is why there are 2 mono tracks rather than the one stereo track I was expecting. If we could write DNx in the .mov container we could have the single stereo audio track.

On DNxSQ vs. DNxHR HQX, server space is the big reason.

We have the option to export in a 10bit flavor if we feel it's warranted to help with gradients or fine graphic details, where the extra bits might be helpful.

I hadn't thought too much about it until you mentioned it, so thank you for asking.

Honestly, there are so many DNx flavors we may revisit our default once we're all switched over.

1 person found this helpful