2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2018 3:51 AM by dj_paige

I did all this work and now I can't find it!

JoshPhoto

Hello,

I'm using Lightroom 3.

I've just edited and worked on 2 catalogs of images, edited them down and saved them. I switched catalogs between 3 different catalogs. Now when I go back to look at the work Ive done, I cant find my edited images in any of the catalogs. They are gone from the arrangement. I can't even see the ones I did edit that should be there, with the changes I made. I think what happened was- this morning  I moved the images out of the original file (Dragged and dropped into another file altogether) thinking I exported them, which I hadn't, and that those files I dragged and dropped tare originals I did edit in light room, but since they didn't get exported they are unedited. AM I right?

So I guess my question in all this mess it, do I put the photos back in those files? If I do will I be able to see the images I made the changes to ie. does light room save the changes in the catalog information? I thought it did... I'm hoping this to be true, then I properly export the images and I will have my edited light room images in a file of my choosing.

So confused, thanks for your help

josh

• 1. Re: I did all this work and now I can't find it!
          WobertC Adobe Community Professional

I've just edited and worked on 2 catalogs of images, edited them down and saved them. I switched catalogs between 3 different catalogs.

First piece of advice- It is best to use only one catalog. Have all your photos indexed in the one catalog (database). You would need advice on a 'merge' method. https://www.lightroomqueen.com/?s=merging

I am not sure what you mean by "saved them" Lightroom edits are only in the Catalog.

Now when I go back to look at the work Ive done, I cant find my edited images in any of the catalogs. They are gone from the arrangement. I can't even see the ones I did edit that should be there, with the changes I made.

Did you "Delete" any images from the Catalogs? If the Previews were marked as 'missing' and you deleted the previews by the [Remove] option then you have removed the edits from the catalog entirely.

Do you see any preview thumbnails, with the exclamation mark on the border?

Or are there no previews at all? Have you looked in each of the catalogs?

I think what happened was- this morning  I moved the images out of the original file (Dragged and dropped into another file altogether) thinking I exported them, which I hadn't, and that those files I dragged and dropped tare originals I did edit in light room, but since they didn't get exported they are unedited. AM I right?

Yes, Lightroom has to know where the 'original' files are located- Moving them with the OS will show them as 'missing' in the catalog. And- yes, you have to use  the Export dialog to create new derivative files that will incorporate the edits done in Lightroom.

So I guess my question in all this mess it, do I put the photos back in those files?

I assume you mean to put the photo "files" back into folders.  Yes if put back in original folders as shown in the Lightroom Folder Panel (put back using the OS) then Lightroom should re-link to them, BUT only if the previews were not deleted from the catalog.

If I do will I be able to see the images I made the changes to ie. does light room save the changes in the catalog information? I thought it did... I'm hoping this to be true,

True. BUT- NOT if you had deleted or removed previews in a Catalog!

And each Catalog is a separate entity- One catalog does not have a clue what happens in another. (like two iPhones- each with different Contact lists)

then I properly export the images and I will have my edited light room images in a file of my choosing.

Correct. You will have your 'New' images (showing the edits) in a FOLDER of your choosing.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-photos-missing-fix/

How to find missing photos in Photoshop Lightroom Classic CC

2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: I did all this work and now I can't find it!
            dj_paige Level 10

WobertC  wrote

I've just edited and worked on 2 catalogs of images, edited them down and saved them. I switched catalogs between 3 different catalogs.

First piece of advice- It is best to use only one catalog. Have all your photos indexed in the one catalog (database).

This is the most important advice. Multiple catalogs make your life more complicated, not simpler. Your work could be in a different catalog than the one you think it is in, by mistake. Or as WobertC has described, there are many other things that you could have done that make your work hard to find, or perhaps you have unknowingly deleted your work.

1 person found this helpful