6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2009 1:13 AM by Newsgroup_User

adding video?

whatisgood Level 1
      can anyone point me in the right direction as to how to incorporate video content onto dreamweaver. I have some videos that i created in Final Cut that I would like to add onto the site. Thanks

Tim
        • 1. Re: adding video?
          whattevva Level 2
          It depends on whether you would like them embedded on the page, or if the link will open a separate window that plays the movie. In either case, the format will need to be specified when you export the movie.

If you want it to play in a separate window, windows media player is the most common player (.wmv format), however quicktime is also common on the macs (.mov) - but you may need to experiment with the balance of resolution/dimensions to get a good quality that won't take forever to stream. You just need to set up a graphic or text link on you Dreamweaver page and link it to your movie. When the user clicks on the link it will open the movie in a "player" pop-up window. The downside of this method is that not everyone will have the player, and may be prompted to install the player - if you go this route, I would recommend a link for both Quicktime format and Windows Media.

If you'd like it to be embedded on the page (like they have on youtube, for instance), saving it in an .flv format will allow you to embed it as a flash movie - there are a few steps/options, so I would recommend looking in Dreamweaver help to read up on importing the flv (though it's not too complicated at all...) You'll also need to experiment with the export settings on this as well to get a good resolution that will stream... Also, not everyone has the flash player, so there is a chance they will be prompted to download and install the most recent version of flash to run the movie - so it's a toss-up as to which method is best... (though with the flash method it's more difficult for someone to download your finished movie and reuse it for their own purposes)...

Hope that helps...
          • 2. Re: adding video?
            Level 7
            upload your movie to youtube, then apply snippet of code youtube gives you
            to show the movie on your page.

k

• 3. Re: adding video?
              Level 7
              Twocans wrote:
              > upload your movie to youtube, then apply snippet of code youtube gives you
              > to show the movie on your page.

An excellent suggestion, as they have plenty of network bandwidth
              available, there servers are dedicated to playing video, and since its
              free, you should really take advantage of it.

Dooza
              • 4. Re: adding video?
                Level 7
                Pros & cons of the various media file types plus code to embed players on
                web pages.

http://www.mediacollege.com/video/streaming/

--
                Nancy O.
                Alt-Web Design & Publishing
                www.alt-web.com

• 5. Re: adding video?
                  Level 7
                  .oO(Dooza)

>Twocans wrote:
                  >> upload your movie to youtube, then apply snippet of code youtube gives you
                  >> to show the movie on your page.
                  >
                  >An excellent suggestion, as they have plenty of network bandwidth
                  >available, there servers are dedicated to playing video, and since its
                  >free, you should really take advantage of it.

IIRC they also claim all the rights on your uploaded material ...

Micha
                  • 6. Re: adding video?
                    Level 7
                    Michael Fesser wrote:
                    > ..oO(Dooza)
                    >
                    >> Twocans wrote:
                    >>> upload your movie to youtube, then apply snippet of code youtube gives you
                    >>> to show the movie on your page.
                    >> An excellent suggestion, as they have plenty of network bandwidth
                    >> available, there servers are dedicated to playing video, and since its
                    >> free, you should really take advantage of it.
                    >
                    > IIRC they also claim all the rights on your uploaded material ...
                    >
                    > Micha

Thats interesting. I heard rumours like that about Facebook too, but it
                    turns out they were limited rights in order to be able to have the files
                    on the different servers in the farms. It is certainly worth checking
                    this out with Youtube first.

There are loads of other video sites so do some research and take your pick.

Dooza