• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Getting PProCC2019 Captions into Encore??

Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2018 Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've basically figured out how to create Captions within PPro, but I don't want to BURN them into the resulting video.  I want to use them as Subtitles on the DVD and/or Blu-Ray that I create in Encore.  Problem is, PPro doesn't seem to export ANY of the forms of captions I can create in it to a format that Encore can import!

What am I missing? (Aside from the money to purchase a ridiculously expensive Plug-in that might facilitate this, that is!)

Also confusing me... When I click Import Subtitles in Encore, the dialog that comes up show three different formats that it accepts, but says that every one of them is in Text (.txt) format files!

I know that Adobe has basically decided that no one burns disks anymore, but why the HUGE disconnect between Captioning/Subtitling in Premiere and Subtitling in Encore?

Okay, sorry, I've drifted from the key question (all else is discussion more than desperate plea), so I'll re-state it...

How do I get Captions/Subtitles from Premiere Pro CC 2019 to Encore (which I don't believe has a CC version)?

Thanks in advance!

- Jim 8^)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

The link is to a page of Encore pdf help files. Download CS6. (I assume that is what you are using.)

The page numbers are a bit off.  Just search "closed captions."

You cannot export an .scc file from PR based on Open Captions. Right click on the caption stream Modify -> Captions, change to CC 608, Field 1. I cannot guarantee that the file will work. The one .scc I found quickly that I exported from PR recently worked.

Note that Encore only supports closed captions for DVD.

In the project panel usin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read reply #15 for why Encore was ended https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2454744

Encore is over 4 years old, and the current Premiere Pro may not be fully compatible to do what you want

I don't do what you are trying to do, so the only thing I can offer is to ask in the PPro forum how to export captions to a format that will import into Encore

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of caption stream in PR? Open Captions? Closed (608/708)?

Encore was designed to provide for importing files and scripts. And deals with "subtitles" and "closed captions."

PR has added substantially regarding captions in the last 2 years. And it may or may not help you in PR, particularly if you did not plan the whole workflow before you started creating captions in PR.

You cannot create subtitles in PR ready to import into Encore (see note below); you can create subtitles and can import subtitle files, in Encore.

The links for the on line Encore help files are broken. They go to pages in a CS5.5 pdf. Here is a link to the archive page where you can download the pdf for CS6.

Encore Help | Archive

Read starting on pdf page 133, Subtitle basics. Ultimately, you are looking for the later section (pdf page 147) that requires a .scc file.

Answer the first question above, and we'll take it from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stan,

Sorry for the delay...

The caption track I'm using is "Open Captions", I'm not so far along that I cannot create another style/format of caption/subtitle track.

Your link to the CS5.5 Encore Help file doesn't work (or didn't for me in Edge), which makes your subsequent comments confusing.  Especially since NONE of the available Caption tracks in PProCC2019 export to the .scc format.

Anyway, I hope that this answer is sufficient to allow you to "...take it from there."!

Thanks in advance!

- Jim 8^}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link is to a page of Encore pdf help files. Download CS6. (I assume that is what you are using.)

The page numbers are a bit off.  Just search "closed captions."

You cannot export an .scc file from PR based on Open Captions. Right click on the caption stream Modify -> Captions, change to CC 608, Field 1. I cannot guarantee that the file will work. The one .scc I found quickly that I exported from PR recently worked.

Note that Encore only supports closed captions for DVD.

In the project panel using Export -> Captions or from the timeline using File -> Export -> Media and setting caption tab to sidecar .scc, export.

In Encore, you select the video track properties panel, closed captions, and browse for the file. Only field 1 enabled, you cannot see or preview the captions.

I tested in PowerDVD and they worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, sir!  I will try out your suggestions on Monday and either mark it as the correct answer or tell you of my results and further questions.

Have a great weekend!

- Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stan,

I still haven't had the chance to try these steps, as I've been doing the subtitles directly within Encore (I only had a small amount done within PPro anyway).

Nonetheless, I'm marking your answer as correct (or accepted or whatever), for the simple reason that I don't want to leave the topic open and run the risk of forgetting to do so.  I do appreciate your efforts here.

One point... I tried the subtitles I have done so far (about a third of the file) and created a Blu-Ray image and it does indeed work just fine from Encore (i.e., it shows the subtitles in PowerDVD)!

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for reporting!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines