Exit

Register key press events

Valorous Hero ,
Oct 31, 2018 Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CEP-9 github spot says the following:

Register an interest in specific key events

(Since 6.1) Register an interest in some key events to prevent them from being sent to the host application:

CSInterface.prototype.registerKeyEventsInterest = function(keyEventsInterest) 

This function works with modeless extensions and panel extensions. Generally all the key events will be sent to the host application for these two extensions if the current focused element is not text input or dropdown.

If you want to intercept some key events and you want them to be handled in the extension, please call this function in advance to prevent them being sent to the host application.

• keyEventsInterest: A JSON string describing those key events you are interested in. A null object or an empty string will lead to removing the interest

This JSON string should be an array, each object has following keys:

• keyCode: [Required] represents an OS system dependent virtual key code identifying the unmodified value of the pressed key.
  • ctrlKey: [optional] a Boolean that indicates if the control key was pressed (true) or not (false) when the event occurred.
  • altKey: [optional] a Boolean that indicates if the alt key was pressed (true) or not (false) when the event occurred.
  • shiftKey: [optional] a Boolean that indicates if the shift key was pressed (true) or not (false) when the event occurred.
  • metaKey: [optional] (macOS Only) a Boolean that indicates if the Meta key was pressed (true) or not (false) when the event occurred. On Macintosh keyboards, this is the command key. To detect Windows key on Windows, please use keyCode instead.

But here is what I get in Adobe Illustrator CC2019?

Uncaught TypeError: csInterface.registerKeyEventsInterest is not a function

How on earth could that be?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018

Hi Silly-V​

Check your CSinterface.js file. The Version 6 of the file doesn't host the method declaration hence your possible execution error.

Version 8 has it. Don't have 7 at hand but it has probably been added somewhere between 7 and 8.

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,
Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Silly-V​

Check your CSinterface.js file. The Version 6 of the file doesn't host the method declaration hence your possible execution error.

Version 8 has it. Don't have 7 at hand but it has probably been added somewhere between 7 and 8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Dec 28, 2018 Dec 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed this was the issue! However, now I am unsure about how to actually get it to work. I have the following code which I expect would yield alert boxes when my extension is open and I press the "Esc" key - but nothing happens!

My code is exactly like this all in one place, what could I be doing wrong?

<script>

const csInterface = new CSInterface();

var keyInterests = [

{ "keyCode": 27 }

];

csInterface.registerKeyEventsInterest( JSON.stringify( keyInterests ) );

csInterface.addEventListener('keydown',function(e){ 

alert("keydown detected"); 

});

</script>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Dec 29, 2018 Dec 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Too far from keyboard to give it a try but a quick search show some issues with keypress events :

registerKeyEventsInterest is not working · Issue #165 · Adobe-CEP/CEP-Resources · GitHub

or

Keyboard Shortcut Conflicts

Might be something os related or a bug. I think you need more researches

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Dec 29, 2018 Dec 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Aha! Indeed it was the OS. I was sabotaged by my unwilling to pay attention to the OS differences for the "Esc" key code!

Besieged by basic browser-based bias. Indeed, the reason the key codes differ is because our CEP deals with key-pushes actually before they get to the built-in browser.

Well, I can keep on the progress, thank you.

Here is what I ended up with, starting with the scope of the 'main.js':

const currentOs = (navigator.userAgent.indexOf("Mac") != -1) ? "Mac" : "Windows";

const csInterface = new CSInterface();

let keyInterests = (currentOs == "Windows") ? [

{ "keyCode": 27 }

] : [

{ "keyCode": 53 }

];

csInterface.registerKeyEventsInterest( JSON.stringify( keyInterests ) );

and in the Vue component's javascript in the created event, the listener:

this.$nextTick(function(){

$("#the-element").on('keydown', handlerFunc);

});

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines