• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR Classic 6.14 PC Win10 can't find Canon EOS 5D (Mark I) raw photos

Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Searching the forum shows all sort of historical issues with 5D Mark IV, but not the situation I've encountered.  My EOS 20D and 60D import with no issues, but LR 6.14 can't see .CR2 files on my 5D (original Mark I).  Lightroom sees the 5D camera source and imports JPG, but not raw.  I have to copy files to the PC via windows explorer and import from a PC library.  Looking for consistent workflow.  Any suggestions?  Is this a known issue with an older body that never got resolved?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, let's confirm the version NUMBER of your Lightroom. Go to Help->System Info and show us the first few lines there (do not copy and paste the entire System Info contents).

Next, describe EXACTLY what happens when you are in this situation where it imports the JPG but not the RAW. If there is an error message, please quote the exact complete unedited word-for-word error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help.

As requested:

Lightroom version: 6.14 [ 1149743 ]

License: Perpetual

Language setting: en

Operating system: Windows 10 - Business Edition

Version: 10.0.17134

Also, "help- -> about" shows LR 6.14  Camera Raw 10.1.  I downloaded and installed Camera Raw 10.5, but LR still shows 10.1.  I'm guessing 10.1 is the highest level supported with LR 6.14.

No error messages thrown in any test scenario.  But here's an update with an interesting twist.

1) Raw only photos on camera - Device detected as Canon EOS 5D.  Import window displays "No photos found."

2) JPG only photos on camera - Device detected as Canon EOS 5D.  All thumbnails are displayed and import as expected.

3) (new test) mix of Ras and JPG photos on camera - Device deteced as Canon EOS 5D.  Import window displays proper thumbnails of JPG photos with filename under thumbnail; and blank "Preview unavailable for this file" thumbnail with filename underneath.

I guess my workaround is to always shoot one JPG image.  Worth investigating further?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Canon 5D1 has been supported since LR 1.x.

If you are directly connecting the camera to the computer, does the problem remain if you use a card reader?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what makes this so odd.  The 5D was passed down to me from a relative, so it's "new" to me, but hasn't displayed any (other?) issues that I'm aware of.  I haven't had a CF card reader on my PC in years.  I suspect they're relatively cheap these days and might offer faster xfer rates.  I'll look into it, but for now, I'll just shoot a jpg before importing.  Thanks for the feedback!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 03, 2018 Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I remember correctly, the 5D had a communication setting that defaulted to PTP but had to be set to PC when connected by USB to computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the lead.  I finally got some free time to get back to this, but through trial and error (and Google) I've found that the only way Windows 10 sees the 5D is when the communication setting is PTP.  It seems backwards, but when set to PC, Windows 10 doesn't recognize the camera.  With PTP, I can see the device and drill down into the CF card via Windows Explorer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Appreciate everyone's help and courtesy.  This is a great community.  I'm going to wrap this up by pointing out the Canon doesn't support native drivers for MS Windows 10; it uses generic Windows drivers which must somehow limit the full support we have with later Canon EOS xD cameras.  I don't believe this is a Lightroom issue at all, but something unique to the original 5D and Windows 10.

It's not much of a nuisance keeping a JPG pic on the card so lightroom can import all the raw files.  The slightly more expensive option I've elected is to buy a $15 USB 3 CF card reader which actually imports the photos much faster than the 5D USB speeds.  Problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines