6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2018 10:00 AM by JohanEl54

Offline Thumbnails Now Greyed Out

Jbreezy13

In the past, I've always been able to see a lower quality, non-editable photo even if it was offline. This would help because given the location of the image I could always figure out which folder I stored it in in my hard drive... however, after I upgraded Lightroom, the photo/thumbnail is completely greyed out, which really hurts my workflow.

Is there any way to fix this?

• 1. Re: Offline Thumbnails Now Greyed Out
          JohanEl54 Adobe Community Professional

Bring your images online temporarily. Lightroom needs to rebuild the thumbnails apparently. After that has finished, the behavior should be the same as before.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Offline Thumbnails Now Greyed Out
            Jbreezy13 Level 1

Thanks for the response Johan.

The problem is I have thousands of photos scattered through many folders, meaning this would take forever. Any idea as to why this would happen in the first place?

• 3. Re: Offline Thumbnails Now Greyed Out

Jbreezy13  wrote

Thanks for the response Johan.

The problem is I have thousands of photos scattered through many folders, meaning this would take forever. Any idea as to why this would happen in the first place?

You didn't say which upgrade you did, but if you upgraded from Lightroom Classic 7.2 or earlier to version 7.3 or later, then the explanation is that the new profiles may require a re-rendering.

By the way: it sounds like you are constantly moving images around outside of Lightroom. Otherwise they would not be 'missing' in the first place. So maybe you should seriously reconsider your workflow, because that is not the way to work with Lightroom.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Offline Thumbnails Now Greyed Out
                Jbreezy13 Level 1

I move the images out for storage purpose. Is there something else you’d recommend once the photos exceed my Macbook’s storage capacity?

• 5. Re: Offline Thumbnails Now Greyed Out
                  JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You could store all of your master images on an external hard drive rather than on your MacBook, and then generate smart previews on the MacBook. When the EHD is removed you would still be able to work with the smart previews. The only drawback is that smart previews cannot be opened in Photoshop. You would have to have the EHD connected in order to use that feature.

• 6. Re: Offline Thumbnails Now Greyed Out

Jbreezy13  wrote

I move the images out for storage purpose. Is there something else you’d recommend once the photos exceed my Macbook’s storage capacity?

If 'moving out' means you move them to an external disk, then use Lightroom to do this, not the Finder. If you do this in Lightroom, then connecting the external disk is all you need to do to 'reconnect' the images again and to get the thumbnails back.