• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Collaborating on a website refresh

New Here ,
Nov 04, 2018 Nov 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using DW CC on Windows 10. My co- designer has all of the content pages from a website that was previous  written in Drupal. I created a template for the pages in DW. We are in two different geographic locations. I uploaded the template to the server, they applied the template at their location and uploaded the pages. Then decided they wanted a change in the template. I have made changes to the template and uploaded it again. There are several hundred pages involved. Is there any other way for these pages to be updated other than A) they download new template reapply it and upload the updated pages or B) me to download all pages apply the template and upload the updated pages?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mention Drupal which is a platform for building dynamically generated web sites in PHP & MySQL.  Are you saying you've abandoned Drupal and switched to a static Dreamweaver Template (DWT)? 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! site was originally built using DW, tried Drupal didn't like the result now going back to DW template and static pages,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DW Templates were the poor man's way of managing 20-50 page static websites, mostly by people who couldn't work with server-side technologies.  But you're doing the complete opposite.  And quite frankly I don't see any upside to this except a lot of extra, painfully tedious work ahead.  

Drupal isn't for everyone. I get that.  But there are other platforms you could use that would make a lot more sense for a site with "several hundred pages."

WordPress Themes work on the server-side   So if you you make changes to your WP child theme and upload it, it's instantly applied to the entire site.  

Designing WordPress Child Themes with Dreamweaver CC | Adobe Blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get it. It's not my choice. It's what my friend wants. It's her website. And she was happy with it when it was DW it just wasn't responsive. So that's when she went with Drupal. I built the DW template using Foundation so the site is still responsive. I had never heard of what she wanted with such a large number of pages as you mentioned. That's why before I began the tedious task I thought I'd reach out and see if there was something I didn't know. Wordpress on it's own isn't really conducive to her content and I'm not Foundation or Wordpress experienced enough with either yet to marry the two.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just checked out that link its definitely worth looking into. Thank you. So I am guessing the actual answer to my question is No there are no other more efficient ways to accomplish what I need to other than the 2 I mentioned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use server-side includes for sitewide content like headers, navigation and footers, you could reduce the load on DW and save some time.  Includes are not proprietary to DW.  They work on the server.  

Alt-Web Design & Publishing: Server-Side Includes with PHP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use those with all my sites but that requires them to be .php and she wants .html because that is what her content already is. Like i said we are 98% finished just wanted to see if there was another way I did not know of other than completely changing what we have already done. Thank you though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If its a matter of having to have .html extensions then you can run .html files as php, depending on your server environment, for most it would be done via .htaccess file with something like this:

AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .html
Paul-M - Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2018 Nov 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

<<Drupal isn't for everyone. I get that.  But there are other platforms you could use that would make a lot more sense for a site with "several hundred pages.">>

I spent a good $30,000 over the last 7 years converting a static Dreamweaver website to Drupal. It was the BIGGEST mistake I could have ever done. I thought it would speed up the website, make it more user-friendly, etc. etc.  Instead, I got an error-ridden and slow website.  Those modules need constant updating, and ever time you update the customizations that were undertaken to make it work, were gone and had to be redone.  Unless you are really good at server work, you'd better hire a Drupal consultant to apply security updates.  I paid $400 a month for that alone (and correcting issues that happened after updates were applied).   It was a nightmare ... My website has about 10,000 pages ... The worst of it all is  that you basically lose control over your website.  I have to recreate all the updates that were done in Drupal over the last 6 years on the old static website.  There is no way to download the content pages.  There are all kept somewhere in the database.  Updating a 10,000 page website in Dreamweaver was a SNAP! With "search and replace", I was able to quickly update links, bad codes, some content.   With Drupal, I had to go into each page individually.  What a nightmare ... Web traffic WENT DOWN - because the website was slower than before.   I had to depend on others to correct issues ... Anyhow, I am done with Drupal.  Drupal makes you DEPENDENT on Drupal consultants.  They OWN your website ... Biggest mistake ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines