8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2018 6:05 AM by zipb82684450

Moving files, LR CC disaster

zipb82684450 Level 1

A week ago, I finally took the step to move all my photo’s to one place/hard drive. My 60,000 (15-20 years worth, some from iPhoto, some from Aperture etc) photo’s were all over the place(some on local disk, others on NAS volumes), and this lead to a messy experience, plus it was hard to keep track of backups. So, as step 1, I moved a folder containing 25000 photo’s in LR CC tree structure and dropped it on an empty folder on a new USB3 hard disk.

It quickly went wrong, unfortunately. After moving 9000 files LR stalled. I waited for 5 hours, nothing happened, LR was no longer responding according to the Mac’s activity monitor. Only way out: force quit. I then noticed lots of empty folders on my source disk, and also empty folders on my destination folder. Files were deleted...

I had to resort to backups of my photo's, but then LR got confused and all my RAW edits disappeared. More reloading of backups, copies via rsync instead of LR, trying to reconnect the catalog, crashes, stalls etc.

Now after spending a week’s spare time on this, all my photo’s and most of my edits are back(and on the new disk). But: most of my albums have missing pictures or suddenly have 0 photo's. When I point LR to the proper location of the missing (grey rectangle) photo(right next to a photo it CAN find), it says it is already connected to another picture. When I show that picture in the library, it’s the same picture(same location) as the one I am trying to point LR at. There’s only one, there are no confusing duplicates.

I also get this error when I try to point LR CC to the right location  of the missing files:

Any idea how I can fix this?

Best,

Zip Boterbloem

• 1. Re: Moving files, LR CC disaster
          JohanEl54 Adobe Community Professional

This looks very much like your catalog got corrupted as a result of the crash. Do you have a catalog backup from just before that?

• 2. Re: Moving files, LR CC disaster
            zipb82684450 Level 1

Yes, I have backups of my catalogs. I've tried several. But all of these are troublesome in some way, not just albums with gray photo's that won't link, but I also have trouble with the library itself. Corruption might have crept in a while ago, without me noticing it.

When I go back quite far, I'm missing the stuff that I added from that point in time on, no?

Should have been easy:

Method 1: move the current folder(s) with photo's to new location in LR CC. Crash & corruption.

Method 2: Reload backup. Move photo's outside LR (with rsync so I'm sure they are getting to their new location uncorrupted) Load old catalog. Point to new location of photo's. Wait. Errors(all photo's were in LR before on different locations, with no errors). Some of my albums are damaged...

I could just give up and use what I have now, but the idea that my LR database is probably corrupt and waiting to wreak more havoc is giving me the creeps.

Plus, my album with photo's of my wedding has 0 photo's now. That's kind of hard to stomach. I can probably rebuild it by hand, but that's a lot of extra work.

Thanks for any insights.

• 3. Re: Moving files, LR CC disaster

When you use a backup catalog and try to relink, how do you do this? By image, or using ‘Find Missing Folder’? Do you get the same error?

And what does a ‘damaged album’ mean? Lightroom Classic does not have albums, so I assume you mean Collections, but how are these ‘damaged’?

• 4. Re: Moving files, LR CC disaster
                zipb82684450 Level 1

Via "Find Missing Folder". I point at the folder in its new location, then get the nil: error.

it's called "verzamelingen" in Dutch, so collections, whatever. The collections are there but contain 0 foto's... There's even an empty book with the right layout, but without photo's.

I retrieved my marriage collection by mounting a backup volume, and loading an older catalog. I then suddenly had my album/collection with 61 or so photo's back. I then saved this collection as a catalog on my new disk. Unfortunately, with this backupped catalog I'm missing photo's from other collections.

I'm still missing a couple of albums/collections made before 2015. Not exactly looking forward at going back that far with backups trying to scavenge these collections.

I now have 2 catalogs, 1 with about 70,000 photo's, 1 with 65,000 that are about right, but have some collections with 0 photo's. Plus a separate catalog for my marriage.

I still want 1 catalog(not 2) with everything, and all photo's on 1 external disk. It sounds so simple...

• 5. Re: Moving files, LR CC disaster

Ik weet hoe dingen in het Nederlands heten, maar ik ga toch maar door in het Engels, omdat andere mensen dan ook kunnen meedenken.

You can merge catalogs via the ‘Import from Another Catalog’ menu, so that way you could restore them. Collections are just lists however, so it is still strange that you have lost those. This fact, and the error you get, does seem to point to catalog corruption.

• 6. Re: Moving files, LR CC disaster
                    zipb82684450 Level 1

I just managed to sort of clean up my library, I only have my new disk left and all my photo's and RAW edits are there.

BUT: for some reason i now have lost most of my collections. Most of them now contain 0 photo's.

Argh. What am I doing wrong?

If I load an old catalog, and relink the missing folders in their new locations, that should do it, shouldn't it? Why are most of my collections suddenly empty?

(later)

I've saved most of my collections (using an older catalog as a starting point) to a new catalog.

I've tried to import this new catalog in my cleaned up big catalog. But import from another catalog doesn't restore collections? I just see my old mostly empty collections.

Am I supposed to delete the old collections first?

• 7. Re: Moving files, LR CC disaster
                      johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

I moved a folder containing 25000 photo’s in LR CC tree structure and dropped it on an empty folder on a new USB3 hard disk.... LR was no longer responding according to the Mac’s activity monitor. Only way out: force quit. I then noticed lots of empty folders on my source disk, and also empty folders on my destination folder. Files were deleted...

Sounds like you're a victim of a long-standing LR bug.  Please add details of your issue to this bug report: Lightroom deletes files when moving folders | Photoshop Family Customer Community .  The problem has occurred very infrequently but persistently over the years, and unless Adobe gets details of what goes wrong, they'll never be able to fix it.

In that bug report, Victoria Bampton (Lightroom Queen) recommends:

This has been a long-standing issue for many years Reetesh. It's difficult to reproduce on demand, but there have been reports of files getting deleted during cancelled or hung drag/drop operations since as far back as I can remember. Your more experienced users recommend using drag/drop only for moving a few photos at a time, and use OS move then Find Missing Folder for larger volumes due to this issue. If you can track it down, that would be much appreciated.
                      • 8. Re: Moving files, LR CC disaster
                        zipb82684450 Level 1

Done. Reported at Photoshop Family Customer Community.