• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Impact on Acrobat 2017 Pro's 7-day limit on TCS 2019 30-day trial

Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have TCS 2017 installed and downloaded and installed the TCS 2019 trial early last week. Today I discovered that Adobe Acrobat 2017 Pro limits its trial period to seven (7) days when it's installed as part of the Technical Communications Suite 2019 30-day trial. I had been focused on testing RoboHelp for the past week and when I went to launch Acrobat today it showed I am at 0 days remaining and need to buy a license to continue.

Does anyone know what impact hitting 0 days will have on Acrobat: Will this only limit me to the features of the previous version of Acrobat 2017 that I had with TCS 2017, or will it render Acrobat completely unusable? Will I have to uninstall all of TCS 2019 to revert to my TCS 2017 version of Acrobat?

Thanks in advance,

Alan

TOPICS
Technical Communication Suite

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't install the 2019 trial on your production TCS2017 machine did you? I thought they tell you not to do that someplace. Yes, I suspect you're going to have to clean it all off & reinstall 2017, you'll have mucked up the Acrobat Pro versions - they don't play nice with each other (unlike the rest of the suite components).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the prompt response, Jeff.

I did not see any recommendations or requirements in the documentation provided with the trial version about installing it on a different machine from production, not that it would make a difference for me as I only have one machine. I timed my evaluation of the trial version between releases, so I have a little time to undo this mess if I can't resolve it.

More importantly, there is no mention in the documentation about a conflict with the older version of Acrobat nor do I recall it being mentioned in the launch webinars that I viewed prior to installing the package. In fact, I recall that in the webinar one attendee specifically asked the presenter if there was any problem with installing TCS 2017 and 2019 on the same machine, to which the response was "No" and he emphasized that because TCS 2019 is now a 64-bit application it is installed in a separate directory path from the previous version. Apparently the presenter was only referring to RoboHelp and FrameMaker, and not Acrobat. That's a pretty important oversight. Further, it would have also been nice if the webinar, the documentation, or both gave a warning about the difference in trial period lengths so customer know how to prioritize their evaluations.

Back to my original question: Today I can open and save Acrobat files. Any idea what happens with Acrobat's feature tomorrow when I'm completely outside of the trial period? I'm using the application to generate and edit PDFs locally, nothing in the cloud service.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, you're in terra incognita there - it may just be a fake message; it might just revert back to your licensed 2017 copy (doubtful); or it might just all stop working. Let us know what happens ;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines