• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Drop caps in ePub

Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One problem with producing the ePub from Indesign — I can't get dropped caps to work. I tried building them manually in text boxes but no difference.
I found this suggestion on twitter "are you aware that you can use p::first-letter{-webkit-initial-letter: 3;} to render native DropCaps in iBooks?" I tried placing this in first paragraph a couple of places in HTML (using Sigil)but get an error.

Can anyone tell me where to place it in this first sentence?
<p class="Non-chapter-Heading-2-"><a id="_idTextAnchor000"></a>Prologue</p><p class="_st-Paragraph"><span class="Drop-Cap">I</span>was in a place I never dreamed I would be.

(Note: drop cap is only set to use another font for the first letter.)
TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 25, 2018 Nov 25, 2018

With the help of someone else, I was finally able to change the drop cap by replacing the information directly in the character style rather in the paragraph in Sigil. I removed the information between brackets and replaced with the following:

font-family:Textura, serif;

line-height: -38%;

height:0.95em;

font-size: 420%;

margin-right: 0.075em;

margin-top: -0.15em;

float:left;font-style:normal;

font-weight:normal;

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should explain a bit more. Drop caps were created in the print version in CC 2018. When exported to ePub 3, they disappear. With a little tweaking I can get them to show up in the iBook but above the whole paragraph. Nothing seems to make a difference. I then tried creating them manually in their own text box but it will not get in the right place either.

I really don't know anything about CSS and HTML but was giving it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this code with an intro paragraph with a .paraintro class for a multi-line dropcap. You will have to adjust the font size and other properties for your own project, and leave out the float if you don't need drop-cap text wrap. Or apply to the dropcap class.

.paraintro::first-letter {

color: #903;

float: left;

font-family: Georgia;

font-size: 93px;

margin-top: 8px;

padding-right: 8px;

margin-left: -8px;

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rayek. I tried just putting this in a few places and taking some out (with Textura substituted for font) but get the "not a well formed XML" message.

Here is what the code looks like currently:
<p class=“_st-Paragraph”><span class=“Drop-Cap”>I</span>was in a place I never dreamed would be.

Drop-Cap is the name of character style.

How and where should I put your code?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried this?

<p class=“_st-Paragraph”><span class=“Drop-Cap” style="color:#903;float:left;font-family:Textura;font-size:93px;margin-top:8px;padding-right:8px;margin-left:-8px;">I</span>was in a place I never dreamed would be.</p>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, rayek. This worked. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The leading on the drop cap grabs an extra line in text wrap. I have the character leading set to 0 in the Character style but it is obviously a lot larger than this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spoke too soon. The drop cap does not show up in the iBook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 25, 2018 Nov 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

With the help of someone else, I was finally able to change the drop cap by replacing the information directly in the character style rather in the paragraph in Sigil. I removed the information between brackets and replaced with the following:

font-family:Textura, serif;

line-height: -38%;

height:0.95em;

font-size: 420%;

margin-right: 0.075em;

margin-top: -0.15em;

float:left;font-style:normal;

font-weight:normal;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines