5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2018 8:50 AM by cjbmuller

Acrobat Pro DC crashes when opening multiple files

sands329

I am unable to open more than one file with Acrobat Pro DC. I can open the first PDF just fine, but opening a second causes the application to crash without warning. This problem has only started in the last day or two. Previously, I observed Acrobat crashing when moving the open window between monitors (removing from one and docking on another). I have tried this with many different files of varying size, restarted windows, and no luck so far. I am using version 2019.008.20080 on a Windows 10 Pro machine. Has anyone seen this or have any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Acrobat Pro DC crashes when opening multiple files
          Adorobat Adobe Employee

Hi sands329,

As per the issue description mentioned above, Acrobat DC is crashing when opening multiple pdf files on your win10 machine, Could you try repairing Acrobat using "Repair installation" option under Help menu, reboot the machine after repair and check.

If that doesn't work, set Acrobat to launch as an administrator using the steps given in the following help document and try again:

Run an Adobe program as administrator | Windows 7, Vista

Also, check if an update is available for your display adapter by clicking Start menu > Settings > Display

Also, let us know if there is any error message when Acrobat crashes?

Are the files you are trying to open located on a network? If yes, save them to the desktop and try opening the files again.

-Shivam

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Acrobat Pro DC crashes when opening multiple files
            sands329 Level 1

Thank you for the answer. Repairing the installation and restarting did fix the issue, although just temporarily. Acrobat just crashed again when I was working with multiple pdfs open. I pulled the window from my secondary monitor over to my primary monitor and went full screen by snapping the window to the top of the screen. Then acrobat crashed, and now the same problem has returned. I cannot open more than one pdf at the same time. The root cause of the problems I am having appear to be related to either snapping a window with multiple pdfs open or moving between dual monitors, as I did this each time when the issue occurred. My display adapter is listed as up to date. I am running with an AMD Radeon R7 350X, 2 monitors, 1920x1080 resolution. Again, this issue has only come up in the last week or so. I have not installed any programs in that time or modified system settings, so I am not sure what has changed unless either a Windows update or Acrobat update occurred recently.

To your other questions: I do not receive any error message, and no message is logged after turning on logging; Most of my files are accessed over the network, but the issue is still present when loading pdfs locally.

I will repair the installation again, but I would like to say that this process takes entirely too long (nearly 15 minutes when I did this before). I would like to understand the root cause of the issue.

• 3. Re: Acrobat Pro DC crashes when opening multiple files
              sands329 Level 1

I have narrowed down the problem more specifically. I am able to open multiple pdfs when the screen is not maximized. However, when I go to full screen, either by snapping or pressing the maximize window button, Acrobat crashes. It happens on either screen.

• 4. Re: Acrobat Pro DC crashes when opening multiple files
                Adorobat Adobe Employee

Hi sands329,

Could you try following troubleshooting steps:

1- Download and run cleaner tool on the machine to uninstall Acrobat: Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs

2- Reboot the machine

3- Download and install Acrobat from here: Download and install Acrobat DC subscription

4- Reboot the machine again and check.

Also, try replicating the issue in a new user account by right- clicking the Start  button, then select Settings  > Accounts  > Other people > Add someone else to this PC, Login into that account, launch Acrobat from there and check.

-Shivam

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Acrobat Pro DC crashes when opening multiple files
                  cjbmuller

Hallo sands329 (and Shivam),

I have exactly the same issue (Adode Pro DC 2019.008.20081).

When trying to open multiple files, Adobe just shuts down. No error message or code, it just closes.

I did exactly what sands329 suggested, I minimised my Adobe to not be in full screen, and all of a sudden I can open a second file without any issue.

With two files open, if I maximise back to full screen it freezes for a second and then shuts down again.

Even just enlarging the Adobe window (I've not been able to figure out the exact size) with two files open and it shuts down.

I have to stick to the window size that it opens with when opening the second file and as long as I stick to that size I can open other files without any issues. As soon as a second file is open, increasing or decreasing the window size becomes an issue.

I've performed all the steps mentioned en the post (Cleaner Tool, reboot, install again,...) and still no joy.

I'm running Win 10 Ent 1809 on a Dell 7050 also with a Radeon R7 350X and two screens (2560 x 1440 resolution).

All drivers up to date and the problem has only started within the last week.

Regards,

Chris