9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2009 2:26 PM by Fugasi

A Real beginner

Physliz
      Hi all

I am a true beginner. I have begun the Dreamweaver tutorials, but they are now taking me down paths that I do not need. I still don't understand how to begin - the tutorials use a bank of files. I need help with how I start those files for the simple website I wish to make. Can anyone please help - or point me to some information.
        • 1. Re: A Real beginner
          Level 7
          Hi Phys,

> I am a true beginner. I have begun the Dreamweaver tutorials, but they are
          > now
          > taking me down paths that I do not need. I still don't understand how to
          > begin
          > - the tutorials use a bank of files. I need help with how I start those
          > files
          > for the simple website I wish to make. Can anyone please help - or point
          > me to
          > some information.

You need to take the time to understand what you're about to do - if the
          tutorials are too much hassle for you, you're probably not ready to use DW
          to build your site - even the simplest of sites uses a bank of files!.

--
          Aloha,

Jerry
          http://MauiWebDesigns.com

• 2. Re: A Real beginner
            Level 7
            These books, in the order listed, would provide a good starting point and
            base.
            http://www.peachpit.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=0321430840&rl=1
            http://www.sitepoint.com/books/design1/?SID=b8ccb8757daf84bf0b3b2ae4414031a2
            http://www.sitepoint.com/books/html1/

The key is to understand HTML & CSS before even opening Dreamweaver. It's
            kind of like understanding carpentry before learning how to use a power saw.

--

Walt

"Physliz" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:gkgthv$c6b$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Hi all
            >
            > I am a true beginner. I have begun the Dreamweaver tutorials, but they are
            > now
            > taking me down paths that I do not need. I still don't understand how to
            > begin
            > - the tutorials use a bank of files. I need help with how I start those
            > files
            > for the simple website I wish to make. Can anyone please help - or point
            > me to
            > some information.
            >

• 3. Re: A Real beginner
              joejim3
              I would start here http://www.w3schools.com/ learn html, css and php. It's going to be tough but persistence will pay off.
              • 4. Re: A Real beginner
                RJweb Level 2
                First learn HTML, then CSS, when you know them good, then move into DW, it will then be a cake walk, good luck
                • 5. Re: A Real beginner
                  whattevva Level 2
                  Almost every college offers beginner courses, (some credit, some non-credit) which for a couple of hundred dollars is money very well spent. It will take you ten times longer to try to poke through a book and figure things out than it will to have someone show you the methodical steps to success - believe me, I've done both and having taken a basic course to lay the foundation before trying to stab in the dark is far less frustrating....

Good luck - it really isn't as difficult as it seems once you have the basics down...
                  • 6. Re: A Real beginner
                    thecurrykid
                    I sympathize with anyone trying to get going in dreamweaver. I did a 2 year course in graphic media which had a module on DW and Flash but that was ten years ago! It's as though I never learned a thing. I now have 23 days left on my CS3 Web disc and I'm stumped. When I open New / blank / CSS I get an HMTL page in Code fromat and can't find a way of switching over to design. Positioning text in a column on the right hand side of the page is also a mystery. think maybe that because it's a trial CD there may be problems - which isn't too encouraging for prospective buyers. I called a technical help person but he told me that because it's a trial disc that he wasn't permitted to give me any help. He advised getting on to this forum - so here goes. regards
                    • 7. Re: A Real beginner
                      Level 7
                      thecurrykid wrote:
                      > I sympathize with anyone trying to get going in dreamweaver. I did a 2 year
                      > course in graphic media which had a module on DW and Flash but that was ten
                      > years ago! It's as though I never learned a thing. I now have 23 days left on
                      > my CS3 Web disc and I'm stumped. When I open New / blank / CSS I get an HMTL
                      > page in Code fromat and can't find a way of switching over to design.
                      > Positioning text in a column on the right hand side of the page is also a
                      > mystery. think maybe that because it's a trial CD there may be problems -
                      > which isn't too encouraging for prospective buyers. I called a technical help
                      > person but he told me that because it's a trial disc that he wasn't permitted
                      > to give me any help. He advised getting on to this forum - so here goes.
                      > regards

There is no difference between the trial and the full release apart from
                      the time out.

The advice in the other posts applies here too, learn HTML and CSS and
                      then come back to learn Dreamweaver, once you understand the basics and
                      the underlying technology everything will click.

Dooza
                      • 8. Re: A Real beginner
                        whattevva Level 2
                        To the Curry Kid - there are buttons across the top left to videw your page in "Code", "Split" or "Design" view...
                        Click on "Design View to build the page "graphically" - the most preferred view is "Split" as you can see both the code and the graphic view at the same time... good luck - I recommend purchasing DW 4 - it's money very well spent if you plan on continuing with Web design...
                        • 9. Re: A Real beginner
                          Fugasi Level 1
                          www.lynda.com is your best bet.