6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2008 7:06 PM by RFlender

I'm stuck in an install house of mirrors

RFlender
      I tried to watch some internet content and this drop-down warning appeared on my web page:
      "The page “Macromedia - Flash Player” has content of MIME type “application/x-shockwave-flash”, but you don’t have a plug-in installed for this MIME type. A plug-in should be available on this page:

https://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer

Do you want to open the page?

I click yes, then I'm directed to the flash download page. I downloaded the flash installer, closed the browser, installed the flash player, then boom -- once again the exact same drop-down window I quoted above appears. So again I clicked "yes" (I want to open the page to get the plug-in), again I'm sent to the Flash download page, and the exact same routine begins again. I restarted my computer. No help. I called Adobe tech support. 30 minutes of talk and the gentleman said "this is strange. I cannot help you. Try the forums." Okay, forums, please help! Any advice or directions is appreciated!!

I'm got an Intel iMac running OS 10.5.1, Safari version 3.0.4 (but the same thing happened with Firefox).
        • 1. Re: I'm stuck in an install house of mirrors
          Level 7
          RFlender,

> 30 minutes of talk and the gentleman said "this is strange.
          > I cannot help you. Try the forums."

Hmm.

> Okay, forums, please help! Any advice or directions is
          > appreciated!!

Well, this is a wild hunch, so it may come to nothing, but I wonder if
          the content you're trying to reach was embedded improperly in the website.
          The fact that it mentions "Macromedia" suggests that one of the elements in
          this puzzle is a few years old. It might be that this particular website
          uses a Flash sniffer -- something that detects the presence of Flash -- that
          was poorly coded. Some sniffers don't take future versions of the sofware
          into account. For example, they might check if you have Flash Player 5
          installed, rather than Flash Player 5 *or higher.*

Do you mind sharing the URL of this content?

David Stiller
          Co-author, Foundation Flash CS3 for Designers
          http://tinyurl.com/2k29mj
          "Luck is the residue of good design."

• 2. I'm stuck in an install house of mirrors
            RFlender Level 1
            Okay, I fixed it (and for some reason in the last 20 minutes this forum is insisting I use a nickname).

The fix was so ridiculously complicated it boggles the mind. I had to go into "Terminal," type a bunch of alphabet-soup commands, go into Directory Utility, log on as "Root User," restart the computer -- holy cow -- do I need to go on? I consider myself an amateur geek and I'm confused. Couldn't they simplify this? I don't even know how I got into this mess in the first place! Well, it appears to be working now. Thanks so much for your reply, David!
            • 3. Re: I'm stuck in an install house of mirrors
              Level 7
              RFlender,

> The URL I originally tried to open was YouTube.com
              > and any movie I clicked on brought up the error message.

Wow. Well, YouTube certainly isn't an obscure site. I'm afraid that
              dashes my grasping at straws. I'm guessing you're on a Mac, as very few
              PCers tend to use Safari. For better or worse, I'm on WinXP in Firefox and
              IE, so I have limited experience with Safari.

I had really hoped my suggestion might help!

David Stiller
              Contributor, How to Cheat in Flash CS3
              http://tinyurl.com/2cp6na

• 4. Re: I'm stuck in an install house of mirrors
                Peggy_Bryant
                This seems to be what happened to me (also Mac user--10.3.9 Safari/Firefox) So far nothing is working. I was directed to go to the forum. There are lots of questions abouot this in the last few days. Is something amiss with the download? I don't understand what Dave was getting at. My video snafu came from my ISP home page. It all worked fine until a day ago. After downloading, reinstalling and uninstalling, I'm afraid the whole thing is a mess. Errgg!
                • 5. Re: I'm stuck in an install house of mirrors
                  Level 7
                  Peggy,

> I don't understand what Dave was getting at.

Many developers use JavaScript to attempt to determine if the website
                  visitor has Flash Player installed. Sometimes, testing for the presence of
                  the plugin isn't enough -- often, even specific versions of Flash Player are
                  tested for. For example, many objects in ActionScript require a particular
                  version or higher.

When this sort of testing is poorly done, it can lead to cases in which
                  the website visitor has a perfectly capable version of Flash Player -- for
                  example, Flash Player 9 -- but the JavaScript incorrectly implies that the
                  installed version isn't good enough. For example, if a developer uses the
                  MovieClipLoader class, which was introduced with Flash Player 7, that
                  developer might use JavaScript to see if the visitor has Flash Player 7
                  installed. The mistake would be to check for Flash Player 7 only, rather
                  than Flash Player 7 or higher.

From what I've seen, the developers at YouTube.com aren't the sort who
                  would make that sort of mistake, so my suggestion had no merit.

David Stiller
                  Adobe Community Expert
                  Dev blog, http://www.quip.net/blog/

• 6. Re: I'm stuck in an install house of mirrors
                    RFlender Level 1
                    Peggy,

Poke around the Adobe site and you should be able to find the instructions I used to get my Flash working. As I said, it was a string of commands I didn't understand using "Terminal" Didn't know what I was doing, I was just following orders.