• EspaƱol
      • FranƧais
      • PortuguĆŖs
  • ę—„ęœ¬čŖžć‚³ćƒŸćƒ„ćƒ‹ćƒ†ć‚£
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TOC page numbers in Fixed Layout ePub not correct.

Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I export my indesign book using InDesign CC2019 and Mac IOSX 10.14.1, I get a TOC that has page numbers from a previously saved version. It seems like Adobe is using a cached version instead of the real thing. I've been online looking at forums and tutorials and I can't find the answer. I have  96 page book that needs to  be created for Apple Books. I have saved the book numerous times in InDesign with a new name and date in case that would work but it's stuck on the old page numbers. (It's a Fixed Layout book and I want the page numbers) I'm ready to pull my hair out. Can anyone help? Susan

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just noticed the the actual pages that show the TOC are correct. It's the EPUB pull-down menu that is incorrect.

When I export my indesign book using InDesign CC2019 and Mac IOSX 10.14.1 to create an ePUB, I get a TOC pull-down menu that has page numbers from a previously saved version even though the TOC from the pages that show in the book are correct. It seems like Adobe is using a cached version instead of the real thing. I've been online looking at forums and tutorials and I can't find the answer. I have  96 page book that needs to  be created for Apple Books. I have saved the book numerous times in InDesign with a new name and date in case that would work but it's stuck on the old page numbers. (It's a Fixed Layout book and I want the page numbers) I'm ready to pull my hair out.

Here is another  error message I get when trying to create the ePUB. I only have .jpg in my book so I donā€™t know where these pngs are from.  Susan

EPUB_export_warning_s__and__Cross_Symbol_11-12-18_Final_A_indd___104___GPU_Preview_.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you working with the iPad Retina preset? At what resolution are you exporting the images? (Should be 72ppi if you use the iPad Retina preset, and 144ppi when using the regular (old) iPad preset.)

InDesign generates empty transparent PNG files if you have grouped empty frames lying around, for example. Those PNG files, while just consisting of transparent mono-coloured pixels, still wind up taking a LOT of memory while processing and rendering the result in a epub reader (or browser, etc.), because the raw uncompressed data is used and placed in video memory.

When InDesign generates these empty placeholder PNG files, and depending on the output resolution, very large (even huge) images are generated, which might cause memory issues during Epub export.

The only way to prevent InDesign from generating these utterly useless resource-gobbling empty PNG files is to fill the offending empty containers with your own tiny empty shim image, and tell InDesign to use that particular image file instead of generating its own files.

Here is the shim I use (it's invisible and 10x10px, but it is there! click to open and save the file):

empty_shim.png

What I do is place this in the frames which generate these empty PNG files, then set the object export option to Use Existing Image for graphic Objects (you could use an object style for this too), and set the fitting to Content to Frame.

That's it. It prevents InDesign from creating its own un-optimized filler PNG files.

Even when InDesign exports without issues, I always use this method (or fix things in code after), because the last thing you want is these ridiculously large empty PNG files reducing the performance and load times of your fixed ebooks on the device (because while these files are quite small file size-wise, they still take up the full uncompressed amount of video memory to display!)

This gets much worse when ebook designers decide to export at 144ppi or higher when using the iPad Retina preset in InDesign: this is not necessary, because exporting the images at 72ppi with this iPad preset generates the correct resolution for these devices.

Anyhoo, I hope this will fix your issues. It can be difficult to identify the culprits when you can't export in the first place - a solution would be to split up your file in pages of 10, or so, and export those. Then inspect the contents of the epub file. Any image that is empty and only carries a number points at the DIV container used in the html code, which again points at the frame used in the InDesign file (each frame in InDesign is converted to a DIV html container).

But if that sounds too daunting, look for empty frames in your pages, and either delete those, or use the shim.png trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2018 Nov 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks you so much for helping. Iā€™ll try your suggestions as soon as I return from Thanksgiving. Susan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2018 Nov 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rayek, I was able to resolve the page numbering problem by going over every page and checking under the Layout menu/numbering & Section Options. I had two pages that were not marked auto number and it through the whole document off or the program got confused.  I'm trying to work on the files again.  I can't find the empty placeholder PNG files. I've tried the command SHOW ALL ON SPREAD- Command+ option+3 on my Mac but it isn't working. How do I get them to show up on the layout page? I was able to use Command A for the master pages and found some extra text boxes. Can you help? Susan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Nov 25, 2018 Nov 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remember that any empty frame will be converted to a div tag containing a dummy PNG file (using the size of the original empty frame and the ppi chosen). Which means these PNG files are generated at ePub export time only (and cannot be found in the actual InDesign file.

First check if your pages have any unused empty frames left on them, and discard those. Also check any grouped objects for these.

An alternative method is to run this script, but be sure to save your work first in a new file, just in case!

https://colecandoo.com/2013/12/22/a-christmas-treat-empty-frame-remover-v1-0/

(I did not test the script myself, but it ought to work.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can't figure out how to check for empty frames on my pages. No commands make them visible. Shouldn't Command A turn on everything? The alternate script brought up the same number of placeholder problems minus the frames themselves. I have no idea where to put a shim file since I don't know what is making inDesign create the .png files on export to ePUB. I'll try and look at the .html files explained in a Lynda.com course on inDesign. Susan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines