• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

H.264 exports too big

New Here ,
Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I've been trying to figure out why lately it seems impossible to get a video exported with a low file-size without sacrificing all of my quality. I know length is a huge factor, but I'm not doing anything more than 5 minutes long, often under 2-3 minutes.

This is an issue if I'm rendering 4k footage, or 720 footage. Both are too large when exported. 4k is larger, but 720 anything in 2018 shouldn't be getting me 750mb files....should it?

I match the sequence settings to the export format I intend to use, and it seems to make little to no difference.

I like to use h.264 and use the match source - high bitrate setting, then I'll do a vbr 2 pass setting the minimum to 8 and the target to 20 or 25. This is usually a good balance between file size and quality, but lately I can't seem to get anything smaller than 500mb or more. I know I can turn the target bitrate down to significantly reduce the size, but it proportionally reduces the quality, which is not the aim.

This didn't used to be an issue for me personally, as uploading something that size to a video site is usually fine (not that I wouldn't want smaller file sizes for that) but now I have to send these videos internally for people to review before they're up on a site, and unless I want something unwatchable, I'm forcing people to download 500mb - 1 gb videos just to preview and review them...they aren't thrilled.

I used the MPEGII shell for years, and that always seemed to get me low file size with high quality, so I thought I'd see where that's at these days, but that makes the files even bigger.

Is this just how it is now? Did something significant change? H.264 is prided as the solution to small video files with high quality. I feel like I missed something big in recent developments with premiere and media encoder.

It's only recently that it seems like small video size with little to no loss in quality is extremely difficult to achieve.

Anybody have a cheatcode on this one?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try one of the adaptive bit rates, Tdo. Likely you have the high bitrate preset enabled.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I stated I had the high bitrate enabled, as anything under 8 is really not good quality.

And while the adaptive high bitrate setting does reduce the file size, it does it by setting the bitrate to a one pass at 6.8.

This doesn't solve my problem, as I'm trying to find the balance between at least 8 for the minimum bitrate, and a small file size.

I'm aware that lowering the bitrate lowers the file size, but the cost is quality, and quality with low size is the aim.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Tdo,

I'm not sure that there's much we can offer you in these support forums then (unless someone has a workaround that I don't know of). Sorry about that.

Can you file the issue here? Premiere Pro: Hot (3161 ideas) – Adobe video & audio apps I've seen a few others struggle with the newer presets and controlling file sizes, etc. Please add your voice.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines