• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Use Repeater With Shade/Color Variations?

Engaged ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to animate a brick wall being built
I can do it with a couple of repeaters, but all of the bricks are the same color.

Any hints on how to randomly slightly vary the colors?
Or hints on how I might do it another way?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

More than one rectangle, more than one repeater, and a little math. You can do it all with one shape layer. It would look like this for a brick that was 200 X 90 pixels. Just add a repeater use math to calculate the offsets, animate the copies, animate the number of copies, then group the rectangles, duplicate the group (Ctrl/Cmnd + D) and offset the keyframes and values to create your wall.

Your first group would look like this:

Screenshot_2018-11-13 13.24.20_Vj8UOa.png

You can fiddle with offsets and numbers of copies for each rectangle

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More than one rectangle, more than one repeater, and a little math. You can do it all with one shape layer. It would look like this for a brick that was 200 X 90 pixels. Just add a repeater use math to calculate the offsets, animate the copies, animate the number of copies, then group the rectangles, duplicate the group (Ctrl/Cmnd + D) and offset the keyframes and values to create your wall.

Your first group would look like this:

Screenshot_2018-11-13 13.24.20_Vj8UOa.png

You can fiddle with offsets and numbers of copies for each rectangle in each group to generate a seemingly random wall.

The other option would be to just use a single rectangle shape layer and then use a script that aligned layers and randomize the color values with a simple random number function and a linear method. Then just set the in and out point to a few frames, sequence the layers, and reset all out points to the end of the comp. That would build your wall with little or no keyframing.

I hope this helps.

I just thought of another method. You could take an existing image of a brick wall and apply Card Dance, line up the rows and columns to match the image, then use Card dance to animate the opacity of each layer card based on a gradient.

There are a lot of ways to skin this cat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bravo, Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines