16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2008 5:33 AM by Sintetik

Dual monitors?

Ex Malterra Level 1
      We've not gotten D11 at work yet, and I've just got the one at home. I'd love to hear D11 supports them.
        • 1. Re: Dual monitors?
          Level 7
          Works for me on XP and Vista
          • 2. Re: Dual monitors?
            thismarty Level 1
            See http://www.director-xtras.com/xtra-bigWindow.html.

Of course, you might need to convince Mark A. to upgrade the Xtra for D11 compatibility.
            • 3. Re: Dual monitors?
              Level 7
              Sorry, I thought the OP was talking about authoring.
              The only projector I've tested was the one from Lucas released at GDC,
              and it worked fine. I can't see why _system.desktopRectList would have
              changed...
              • 4. Re: Dual monitors?
                14thStreetStudio
                The workspace for dual monitors takes a little while to set up. I use a pair of 1600x1200 screens side-by-side.The tool bar isn't well placed and wastes valuable pixels but it all works.

I just upgraded to D11 which didn't automatically figure my D10 screen layout so I had to fiddle with the whole thing from scratch.
                • 5. Re: Dual monitors?
                  ICMA Centre
                  How the #%^£&* do I split the ^&%*! score from the ^&**(%T^ stage?!?!

Sorry... starting to wish I had checked the forums <i>before</i> upgrading...

flea
                  • 6. Re: Dual monitors?
                    Level 7
                    I believe you can fix most of the annoying new interface stuff by going
                    to Window, Panel Sets, Director 8.
                    • 7. Re: Dual monitors?
                      ICMA Centre Level 1
                      Thank you, thank you, thank you...

**reverts to simple seething at continual crashes**
                      • 8. Re: Dual monitors?
                        coocooforcocoapuffs
                        Works great as already mentioned but i am wondering about projector in full screen, it seems to fill up both screens instead of the expected one. Is there a way to set that, or is that just the way it is? I have an mbp with an external attached. Thanks@
                        • 9. Re: Dual monitors?
                          Level 7

"coocooforcocoapuffs" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                          news:ft5lok$gcn$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          > Works great as already mentioned but i am wondering about
                          > projector in
                          > full screen, it seems to fill up both screens instead of the
                          > expected one. Is
                          > there a way to set that, or is that just the way it is? I have an
                          > mbp with an
                          > external attached. Thanks@

What is "mbp with external attached" ?

Richard.

• 10. Re: Dual monitors?
                            Level 7
                            MacBook Pro?
                            • 11. Re: Dual monitors?
                              coocooforcocoapuffs Level 1
                              sorry, yes a macbookpro attached to a 21" samsung. i think the problem that i have is common with other apps on a mac, like DVD Player, the other screen always fills with the background of the app playing on the other screen. I guess I need to lingo something like:
                              check user screen
                              pick one
                              fill that one, leave the other alone
                              I have no idea if this is possible, as I do not know lingo at all!
                              Well, cheers...
                              ccfccp

• 12. Re: Dual monitors?
                                LeeC22
                                It's still rubbish on dual screens.

Why they can't take the approach of a professional application, where windows are not tied to the parent window I don't know. They should have taken a good look at Flash CS3 where the scripting window can be detached and dragged to a second screen for example. Or 3DS Max, Photoshop, Poser, FL Studio where panels can be undocked from the main application window.

The only method of extending Director to use dual-screens is only any use where both screens use the same resolution. The overall interface does nothing to convince you that anything worthwhile has happened in this version of Director.
                                • 13. Dual monitors?
                                  Lee, I dont get ur post. Dir11 on a mac seems to work just like other CS3 apps except they are called panels, but all seems detachable and able to spread on two monitors with differing resolutions just fine. I have a mbp @ 1400x900 and a samsung at 1280x1024 and i have the stage and cast on one display and the score on another, pretty much how I work with premiere and all the other apps. looks grand!
                                  ccfccp
                                  ps. i do get ur point about not much has changed, but that may be the beauty of this release. if u knew mx2004, then u know this one. everything seems to be in the same place, yeah! unlike word 2003 vs. word 2007 - ha!
                                  • 14. Re: Dual monitors?
                                    Sintetik
                                    How?
                                    My hope for this release was that windows should be independent from the main Director window.
                                    But I have just tried and they are not: everything must be contained inside the main Window, so it's useless unless you have two similar monitors and you expand the main window on both of them.
                                    I have a notebook and an external monitor, sizes and position are very different so extending the main window is useless. Director has an obsolete interface and IDE, it's always my favourite developing tool but let's face it, it's old.
                                    This upgrade is more and more useless to me, I can 't find a single reason to buy it, I will check if the 3d Xtra is compatible with the older version and keep it.
                                    • 15. Re: Dual monitors?
                                      quote:

Originally posted by: Sintetik
                                      How?
                                      My hope for this release was that windows should be independent from the main Director window.
                                      But I have just tried and they are not: everything must be contained inside the main Window, so it's useless unless you have two similar monitors and you expand the main window on both of them.
                                      I have a notebook and an external monitor, sizes and position are very different so extending the main window is useless. Director has an obsolete interface and IDE, it's always my favourite developing tool but let's face it, it's old.
                                      This upgrade is more and more useless to me, I can 't find a single reason to buy it, I will check if the 3d Xtra is compatible with the older version and keep it.

Sintetik, r u on a mac? on a mac book pro, d11 allows you to position panels where ever the heck you want them on a dual monitor setup. if u have a pc, maybe its an nvidia or whatever setting that's not right. good luck!
                                      ccfccp

• 16. Re: Dual monitors?
                                        Sintetik Level 1
                                        Windows Vista, I know that on Macintosh windows are indipendent, it was the same on Director MX and probably on Director 8 too.
                                        But I need to develop on Vista, Director 11 is the same old Director, it crashes as old Director, everything is the same after 4 years.
                                        Thumbs down.