• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best hard drives configuration for video editing.

Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, as I'm going to do a clean install of windows soon, I wanted to ask what is the best configuration of drives for me.

There are 4 things I'm thinking about;

where to install:

- Premiere Pro & After Effects

- Cache

- OS

- Footage

I have 3 drives;

- 250Gb SATA III MLC SSD

- 1TB SATA III TLC SSD

- 1TB HDD

Should it be like:

- OS, FOOTAGE, SOFTWARE on 1TB SSD

and Cache on 250GB SSD + HDD as Archive

or different?

Maybe this isn't the most important question but this is the thing I was thinking a lot lately.

Thank you for answers!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ayaseshinomia  wrote

Maybe this isn't the most important question

Actually, it is important.

What brand and model drives are the SSDs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, the 1tb one is Samsung 860 EVO and the 250GB is a local brand, but performance is close to Samsung one.

They aren't beasts, but always better than HDD's.

Crystalmark of 250:

Screenshot_15.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would go with what you had in your original post and see how it works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would put the O/S and applications on the 256gb ssd drive and put the media, cache, scratch and other project files on the 1tb SSD.  I dont know how much of a difference that would make versus what you proposed but that’s what Puget Systems recommends.  https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Premiere-Pro-CC-2015-4-Storage-Optimization-854/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

250 GB may be too small for the OS drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've had my OS/software on a 250GB ssd for the last 5 years and it's been fine. Only, sucks if you use the same machine for gaming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By looking that the different types of SSDs that you have I'll have to agree with Diddy82. The 256GB is an MLC SSD which technology wise is "faster" than the the 1TB TLC. Don't worry about the size of the OS 256GB is plenty as of room for it. The 1TB SSD will be a great cahe, scratch, imediate project files and the HDD should be what it is "cold storage,"  which translates to files/projects that you are not using frequently.

On another note, you should check out some of the new SSD PCIe drives that are coming out. The prices are coming down thus becoming affordable and there is a nice boost in performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thank you for an answer. This configuration is looking good, but one thing worries me: that 1tb is TLC which wears out way faster, and if this will be used to cache, then well...

But on the other side, it can be considered as just a working tool wearing out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2018 Dec 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hate to pop out of nowhere, but I'm looking for hardware recommendations and this really helped sort out the storage concept. Can you please tell me what other specs are you running and how's the performance? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2018 Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, my spec is very casual and pretty old i7 3770k/20 DDR3/GTX 970. I will be upgrading Q1 2019.

So, I'm not very experienced as I'm mostly editing typical corporate videos or youtube videos, but I need to say that moving footage to SSD (if you are using something on the heavy side) helps a lot. Still, my CPU is chocking on 4k editing, but it's doable. But this is not spec which will protect your sanity (crashes and not responding).

I will be probably going for 9700k/32 DDR4/2080 since I don't have the quite budget for 9900k and After Effects seems to benefit more on core speed (I might be wrong).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2018 Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right about AE benefitting more from clock speed than number of cores. At least thats what the forums say.

I was considering the the same 9900k/32 DDR4. Because it's the best available for AE and among the top 5 for PR according to Puget Systems. 9700k is pretty close so you'll be fine, I think.

Good luck with your build and thanks for the response!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now you might be better off waiting for CES because AMD might show something great (or at least there are rumors about that)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines