• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pdfs not showing correctly in Preview on Mac

Participant ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recently updated to MacOS 10.14.1 and the latest versions of creative suite App.

My pdfs created in Indesign used to show perfectly well in 'Preview' on MacOS. But since update, most of the images are completely missing on every file I have previously created.

Anyone have any ideas, etc?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should ask in the Apple forums, as Preview is an Apple application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very true, I just thought I'd ask id ask my peers who may use this combination of software before having to trudge off to Apple

Thanks anyway

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good luck with Apple! You'll need it

As you may know, Preview is not a good PDF viewer. It has gotten a little bit better over the years, but I still call it the "Killer of PDF files" (see here for a bit more information: Preview.app - Killer of PDF Files - KHKonsulting LLC ). In general, you should not use Preview to display PDF files - at least not if you care about how accurately your PDF files will be shown, and how the files potentially get destroyed by the viewing application. I advise my customers not to use Preview, and they inform their users and customers not to open PDF files in Preview. Download the free Adobe Reader and use that for all your PDF viewing (and printing) needs.

Without seeing your PDF files, it's impossible to say what is going on here. Chances are that you are using a feature in PDF that Apple has not or nor fully implemented in Preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Karl, you basically confirmed everything I suspected. Oddly enough Im on the Apple forums now, and can't even get my question up. Unfortunately I have a client who worships everything Apple do and won't listen to reason that the Apple product can't do the job.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. Why people can't use the specific product for the job I don't know. You wouldn't eat ice cream with chopsticks, why open a pdf in preview with its limited scope.

Ill go shout at my client a bit I think

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot count the number of apple devices I have. Right now, I am typing on a MacBook Pro, I have my iPhone in my pocket and my Apple watch on my wrist. My router is an Apple router, my server is a MacMini... You probably get the idea - I've been called a fanboy before . And still, I will _NOT_ use Preview for displaying PDF files. Even though Apple has a great track record with hardware, UI design and usability, they do not understand PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe does not own PDF. They gave it away years ago and it is owned by an ISO. Adobe can’t help you (in this case your client) with other viewers or with PDFs made by non-Adobe products. Some are good; many are not.

I love all things Mac except PDFs in Preview!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2019 Dec 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This answered my question about problems I was having with functionality in Preview (not all of my fillable areas in PDF were functioning in Preview), and why any time I'd open my PDFs in Preview my files were corrupted and I couldn't edit them anymore in Acrobat. Preview has been corrupting my PDF files! Thank you for saving me tons of time and frustration!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines