• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Patching Reader without uninstalling

New Here ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The questions I'm trying to answer are whether it is possible to patch existing Reader DC client installations (not the AIP itself) without uninstalling and reinstalling (our current practice) and what specific command to use to send the update. 

Executing the command below I get "The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service..." error.

msiexec.exe /i "xyz\acroread.msi" /update "xyz\AcroRdr2017Upd1701130105_MUI.msp"

Is it possible to just install the .msp file without calling the original .msi?  If so what is the command for that?

For reference our AIP process is like this:  (from another post but describes it well)

1. Create an AIP for the base version of Acrobat by using the following commands (Base Release):

msiexec /a <xyz\AcroPro.msi or AcroStan.msi> TARGETDIR=<different path to folder where the AIP must be created>

2. Apply Patch (MSP) using below command (you will get the msp from the extracted folder <xyz>:

msiexec /a <path to AcroPro.msi/AcroStan.msi in the location where the AIP was created at step 1 in TARGETDIR> /p <path to msp patch>

You will get a patched AIP.

3. Install the AIP created by using the following command:

msiexec /i <path to AcroPro.msi/AcroStan.msi in the location where the patched AIP was created>

TOPICS
Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The simple command line to install patch is

msiexec.exe /p "C:\MyPatch.msp"

remember that all patches have a target, which is usually full base product (not deployed from patched AIP)

For example, if you want to patch Adobe Reader DC, the base version is here

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/AcrobatDC/1500720033/

Pay attention to MUI versus single language installer; they have different patches.

Maybe this topic will be helpful as well-

Acrobat DC Pro will not update beyond 15.9.20069.15942

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So you're saying that there's no method to patch installs deployed from a patched AIP?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines