3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2008 9:01 AM by eb-go

Help with updating/editing flash presentation

Sally_SQ
      Hey Everyone,

I just got my first proper job since leaving Uni and they've tasked me with updating some internal Flash training material (on the basis that I know Java and therefore it should be easy :)

Basicaly they got a company to make some flash based training for new hires on their products a couple of years ago and they want me to update it for the new releases. I guess I'm cheaper than hiring a Flash professional to do it but I don't really know how to start. The Flash is basically a bunch of screenshots of their stuff with annotation, small movies, quiz's etc all wrapped in a navigation shell.

In a nutshell I need to change some of the images, update some text, move the annotations etc to reflect the new look&feel of the latest rev of the software.

Look at the .fla files in CS3 and I really dont have a clue where to start. Are there any tools for editing existing presentations rather than this scary interface? Or even just good books?

Thanks,
      Sally
        • 1. Re: Help with updating/editing flash presentation
          Myquite00 Level 1
          Congrats on the new job. I know how you feel only when I started this job they asked me to MAKE a training program and I'm a designer and hadn't used Flash for a few years, something about hiring a flash guru to work with me but that got lost in the HR vortex.

First, Hopefully they still have all the original FLA files.

Second, a lot of designers and developers alike are a little short-sighted in that they just want to get the project done and don't think about what it would be like for someone else to open up their work and have to update it. So they don't take the time to properly name all their symbols and layers or put comments in with their Actionscript. So hopefully the person who started your project was kind enough to leave some of these bread crumbs for you. If not there will be something of challenge in deciphering their work. However keep in mind you can always leave it better than you got it.

Third, there are some really great resources that I use to help "fill the gaps!" Places like Lynda.com have tons of video tutorials made by well established Flash Professionals. They aren't for free but I thought it was worth the price.

Lastly, as you get into the project and something specific comes up that is really confusing, for example when you test your movie it doesn't work and you can't figure out why, post the problem up here being as specific as you can because there are a lot of great flash experts that would love nothing more then helping folks like us bust through these flash problems.

Hopefully this is helpful, Good Luck!
          • 2. Re: Help with updating/editing flash presentation
            eb-go
            yes, congrats...this is usually the best way to learn.
            i am in a similiar situation...(well i "left uni" YEARS ago...still learning.) the project i am trying to update was developed years ago and the source files are nowhere to be found. i have found apps that will decode swf's but it sounds like you are at least lucky enough to have been left the source.
            good luck.
            i know this isnt really helpful...but at least supportive :-}
            • 3. Re: Help with updating/editing flash presentation
              eb-go Level 1
              yes, congrats...this is usually the best way to learn.
              i am in a similiar situation...(well i "left uni" YEARS ago...still learning.) the project i am trying to update was developed years ago and the source files are nowhere to be found. i have found apps that will decode swf's but it sounds like you are at least lucky enough to have been left the source.
              good luck.
              i know this isnt really helpful...but at least supportive :-}